1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Haven't read the whole thread, but would like to say the ham salad sandwich was my A No. 1.

Ground up ham (or ring bologna), sour pickles, a dash of onion and mayo, served on bakery white bread, with a glass of milk. Makes me miss grandma whenever I think of it.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Is Hayden legal yet? Is that an obstacle?

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Hayden is legal. Believe me, I'm married to her biggest fan.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Oh yeah ... she just turned legal this past year I believe.

I made sure I checked her license first. Don't wanna make any mistakes like that.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That was a staple of my mother's bag lunch repertoire. It was really special when she used raisin bread. Tons of bologna from Joe's deli around the corner, too. Dad would get a pound a week and tell the five of us kids it had to last all week. We were back to peanut butter and jam (not jelly) by Tuesdays. Tuna, egg and chicken salads, toss in a ham salad once in a while. If you were lucky, there might be some leftover pot roast from Sunday dinner. An ample spread of horse radish later and you were in heaven. Had about a two-year stretch of fluffernutters. Grilled cheese, usually with tomato soup, if I came home from school for lunch. When my father was on night shift he'd be home and like to make an open-faced ham-and-swiss on the little party size pumpernickel slices, serve 'em with a gherkin pickle. Crack open a can of sardines and you were set. He was also a big fan of the western sandwich, too. He did a nice peppers-and-egg or sausage-and-peppers heroes. We collectively revolted when my mom tried to get away with olive loaf.

6. Cran --
    I had no idea there was another one of us.
    I still eat the things and my kids are revolted by the notion.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My mom is 100 percent Irish. Could it be a middle-class Irish thing? I don't see it anywhere in the handbook.

Draft saved Draft deleted