1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros fire manager and general manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Aug 27, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

He's 57 years old. If not now, when?

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I disagree that the Astros were laughed out of the World Series. Obviously it was a sweep, but every game was a good one and close. No laughers in there. They were beaten by a better team, but certainly not totally overmatched and blown away.

And didn't Purpura bring in Carlos Beltran that season, which helped the playoff push (and then didn't re-sign him of course)?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not that there's anything wrong with THAT . . .

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Same day Joe Altobelli won a World Series.

Garner is/was a very average manager. Even he was surprised when he got the chance in Houston because he thought he was done.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Royals got Mark Teahen (starting RF who moved from 3B), John Buck (starting catcher) and Mike Wood (worthless) in that trade. At least they got some productive pieces -- if not great ones -- in that one. Doesn't always happen.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I would think any GM would think twice about hiring Garner now, since the last two times he was fired, he took the GM with him. And Randy Smith hasn't been seen since. Although his dad could use a GM now...

7. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

I should rephrase, I suppose. He'll be a good manager once he's fielded his own major league team for a few years. Not sure this will be his best/only shot, though.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I liked Garner a lot...another former Astro heading up the team. But there were questions about both his insistence to use guys like Mike Lamb and Jason Lane on an inconsistent basis, and that was tied with Purpura's flakiness in bringing up and sending down those fringe guys. It also didn't help that the 'Stros failed to sign either of their first two draft choices and have a farm system that's nearly depleted (they have one decent catching prospect, maybe one pitching prospect and not much else between Round Rock and Corpus Christi).

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think I can speak for Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Pirates and Reds fans everywhere when I say that we heartily endorse Steve Phillips' candidacy for the Astros' GM job.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And I think I speak for the ENTIRE Astros nation when I say, please...thanks, but no thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted