1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And then the teams we cover should be charged the standard ad rate for the space we give them, right?

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So we can, like, disregard everything you wrote up to that last sentence? Deal!

3. I'm just making a point. There are some here saying that it's ALL equally bad, and I guarantee some of those people have committed what they would define as transgressions.

I wouldn't know Canzano from a ham sandwich if he walked up to me on the street and I'm not very familiar with his work but people whose opinion I value seem to respect him.

I just think people are getting a bit out of hand with this whole issue.

I try to do as much radio and freelance work as the next guy. Quite frankly, I need it as part of my income.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not busting your chops, Omar. I was glad to see that, ultimately, you do see a difference between trinkets and hot dogs vs. employment by a news source.
    I think Canzano does a fine job with his column. Never have heard him on the air and don't need to. Wish he had said no to the Paul Allen station and, failing that, wish his editors had said no. Don't respect either quite the same anymore, though it's clear they won't lose sleep over that.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I covered the U.S. Open each media member would get a sponsor's gift or two, and meal vouchers good at the player's cafeteria, when we got our credentials. I guess that wouldn't pass today's sniff test for media improriety.

But as someone posted earlier, it's only the toy department.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I should, but only to put me out of other's misery...

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When Mizzou and I agree twice in one week, you know the end is near.

Nobody's answered the Chicago Tribune thing.

So I guess those here who think the guy is unethical would NOT take a columnist job at the Chicago Tribune??

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Man at bar: "Would you sleep with me for a million dollars?"

Woman (enthusiastic): "Sure!"

Man: "Would you sleep with me for ten dollars?"

Woman (offended): "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

Man: "We've already established that. Now we're just haggling over price."

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, not sleeping with you for $80,000.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'll need a definition here.

11. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I might be coming at this issue differently since I'm a television producer (news and sports) and I'm a recent college graduate. But, in my experience even the small bits of swag (food, shirts, etc) that are being dismissed here can be the cause of bias in coverage.

At my university reporters at weekly coach's press conferences used to be treated to sandwiches, soup, etc. I had a radio reporter friend who attended religously every single conference. Once they removed the free stuff he was a rarity. Maybe that's not a conflict, but it changed how he covered the team. I also noticed his slant towards the University changed greatly once more media "perks" were removed or changed. I guess, all I'm saying is that seemingly inocous things can impact different people. I may be way off base, but that's my personal experience with the small giveaways I've seen mentioned a lot this thread.

On another note, this thread is a tremendous read and has caused me to question things I've done or seen, especially at my own place of employment.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

John:

I only read the first couple of pages and the last couple of pages.

I think you could look at it as a promotion for the newspaper and, by way of extension, you and your work. I suppose all parties know what they are getting into - you, the newspaper, the radio station, and Paul Allen.

Here's the one thing I do wonder about. Someone bought up the Tribune/Cubs issue. First, the Tribune will sell the Cubs and the Tribune is so big the paper and TV station would be hard to control. I'm sure Trib writers disagree with WGN people and this appears in print.

In Portland, the Trail Blazers are the only major league professional team in town. My doubt about this would be that if you did something on WGN regarding a general column, there are five major league teams in town (OK, OK, insert your Chicago Black Hawks joke here). In Portland, there is only one major league team and that might cause me a little concern. It takes up more of the sports attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted