1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Saw a recipe for a grilled cheese on raisin bread with apple slices. Sounds like it'd be pretty fucking awesome.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Hate wasting No. 500 on this thread, but damn you guys made me start drooling.

It's actually very funny to think about as I post, because my favorite sandwich as a child was American cheese and ketchup in a hamburger bun.

Just yesterday, I went up to Old Orchard Beach, Maine, with my family and my sister makes a comment to my mom about how disgusting it is to see her daughter eat just cheese and ketchup on a bun for lunch. My mom started laughing and said she must have her uncles tastebuds.

Now I still have cheese on just about every sandwich I get, but that damn patstrami sandwich from Bennington, Vt., sounds so good right now. I plan on heading out to North Adams, Mass., next week to visit the old college stomping grounds. Maybe I'll swing up to Bennington while out that way!

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

PB&J, all the way, with butter also on the bread. Still love the old standby, washed down with chocolate milk.

Also loved a cheese/lettuce sandwich. Still do.

My fav now is a fried egg sandwich. But those are a rare treat.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh man, if I were getting executed at noon and my last meal was breakfast ... my grandma's (or my mom's, a very close second) fried egg sandwich would be it.
    She used just the right amount of pepper on the egg, just the right amount of butter on the toast, and crisped the bacon just so it crunched but before it blackened.
    Fried the egg just the way I liked it, somewhere between over easy and over medium. Enough to run a little yolk when I bit into it -- and drip a little on the plate to dip the last bite of the crust into -- but not to make a huge mess.

I love my own egg sandwiches, too -- fallen in love with maple bacon, for that purpose; plus, the house smells fantastic when I walk in the door -- but nothing tastes quite like the ones they made me as a kid.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I do all my sammiches now on Honey Wheat. The best is grilled cheese, but you have to use two slices of cheese or the honey overpowers it a little.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a Peanut Butter & Brown Sugar sandwich for this hyperactive child.

The chick from The Breakfast Club with her Cap'n Crunch and Pixie Stix had nothing on the PB & BS sandwich ... mmmmm!

Damn, it's been at least a couple years since I had one.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I like pb and brown sugar. I put the pb and bs on one slice, put it all in the oven, so the pb melts and the bs kinda does too and the bread gets toasted.

Slap 'em together and chow down.

Mom used to make these for us when we were young 'uns.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Crap, just remembered I forgot to buy bologna and cheetohs.

9. Huggs4Thuggs

Huggs4Thuggs New Member

I think this was written specifically to get a rise out of me.

Am I right Pilot?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Reviving the thread to proclaim my current sandwich love: A basement deli a few blocks from my apartment that I just now discovered despite it being around for like 55 years. The sandwich in question -- turkey, roast beef, pastrami, provolone, swiss, thousand island and sweet pickle chips toasted on rye. A sandwich made of win and cholesterol.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I was this close to buying bologna and cheetohs tonight.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would kill for a sammich like that within 10 miles of this southern outpost.

Draft saved Draft deleted