1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A place for open letters to the good people of the world.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UTShooter, Jun 1, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Dear CR,

Have you been AWOL for some time, or am I just dumb (and I accept that the second answer is a perfectly believable one)?

ut

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Dear Fly,

I like Waffle House. Have never gotten sick in there. It was just a fun night errrr morning after drinking and there is a WaHo within walking distance of my current residence. Funny stuff!

Yours in Bert's Chili,
    Tommy_D

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Dear T_D,

I never got sick in a Waffle House, only seen things that are usually reserved for the bottom of toilet bowls in third world countries. I agree with what you say about some of the employees. They seem to be, umm...yeah.

Enjoy the Kentucky Oysters,

Mayfly

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

UT,

You're no dummy. I've been MIA for at least a few weeks. Now that I'm back at work after three months off and with school starting in two weeks, I should be around regularly again. Did I miss anything good?

Cheers,
    Cradle

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Cradle,

I don't think so, but I can't remember back that far...

ut

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Dear board,

In the last two months, I've lost my frou-frou coffee and sushi virginities (is that a word?).

I love me some non-fat latte with hazlenut and whipped cream. Mmmmmm.

Thanks, Pacific Northwest,

three_bags_full

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Dear new stringer,

Really, you gave me your stories and THOSE were your leads?
    REALLY????

I know you're new, but damn kid, I'm going to get awfully sick of rewriting your stories starting about ... yesterday.

Next week lets shoot for two goals:

1. Something even mildly creative, both in terms of not having been done 1,000 times already this month and in terms of something that actually connects to the stories' overall themes.

2. Leads that actually make sense. Going with weather is disgusting enough. Going with weather that doesn't make sense is way worse. Opting for cliche is terrible no matter what. Opting for cliche that is incorrect is way worse.

Please, new stringer. Please Lord figure it out.

And you sort of smell.

Rewriting your shit again,
    Pilot

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Dear Yahweh,

I have seen the light. Never again will I stray from the Path of Righteousness that is Caffeine, one of your finest creations.

Yours in cold, fizzy drinkage,

Troop

------------------

Pilot,

I assume you telling and showing said n00b the way you want things to be done, rather than just doing rewrites in his absence, yes? The kids tend to do better if they have an example to follow.

Yours in the pursuit of mental health,

Troop

9. Huggs4Thuggs

Huggs4Thuggs New Member

Dear James Dolan,

This has gone too far.

Very truly yours,
    Huggs

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Trooper,

He's very new to me and at this point I'm not entirely comfortable making the massive restructuring suggestions that are necessary. He seems a bit different than some of the other guys I've worked with and I haven't really decided the best way to reach him yet -- just offering corrections, suggestions, more oversight from the start, or all of the above. Some guys in the past I've pretty much had to layout exactly what kind of questions to ask and what themes to pursue. I'm hoping this doesn't end up going there, so I'm holding off a little at this point.

After his first few articles, I pointed out a lot of the stuff I did to them, and did so again to this batch. I haven't really laid it all out yet, though. Hopefully he'll take the advice I have given and in the near future, when he gets a little more acclimated to his beat, he'll start writing stuff that actually makes sense in the story and the world.

For now, though -- and on deadline -- my only option was to rip and rewrite. Oh, and bitch about it online!

-- Pilot

11. Huggs4Thuggs

Huggs4Thuggs New Member

Dear Pilot,

Thank you for your interest in the Roswell Daily Record.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

three bags - PLUS, you now put fruit in your beer ... fucking PNW. hugs, tomas ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted