1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dungy on The Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

The man was very solid. I enjoyed the interview.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did he tell me to go fuck myself?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he did, I must have turned it on too late to see it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nah, he thought he'd be unique

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

The Leno interview was definitely solid. The fourth quarter of the MNF game was also interesting (the off-field discussion, not the on-field play). While talking about his new book, the guys in the booth were discussing Dungy's merits for possible inclusion in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I had never really given it any thought but the broadcasters seemed to think he'd get inducted. I think I'd want to see how his career finishes first, but he should be strongly considered. Is Dungy a Hall-of-Famer? I'm not sure.

Has anyone read his book yet? Thoughts? I haven't read it (not big into sports bios) but I've heard people just rave about it. The broadcast mentioned that new Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron bought 1,000 copies.

Here are a two Kravitz links about the book.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/COLUMNISTS01/707100332/1247/SPORTS

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070815/COLUMNISTS01/708150494/1034/COLUMNISTS01

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The way the Pro Football HOF process works he's definitely a Hall of Famer.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Dungy goes in based on his coaching tenure, assuming this is his only Super Bowl win, does George Seifert, who won 2? Jimmy Johnson (2), Shanahan(2),Holmgren(1-2), Vermeil (1-1), Dan Reeves (0-3).
    Bill Cowher?
    Gruden, Flores Billick?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tony Dungy a Hall of Fame coach? Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

No way. Not in a million years. Not even in the pisspoor, watered down, we need to have six guys inducted every year Pro Football HOF.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

Why do you say that? Maybe you are right. I'm not sure it's as clear cut in the other direction as you suggest. What if he wins another Super Bowl. I don't think I'd have him in at this point either, but to me he's at least approaching the bubble, not "no way in a million years."

His teams have made eight consecutive playoff appearances. The record is nine, set by I believe Chuck Noll. He's won a Super Bowl, the first black head coach to achieve such an accomplishment. He completely turned around a horrible franchise in Tampa. He's had one losing record during his entire career as a head coach. I think you also may have to look at his coach tree, which has grown at quite a rate.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

BYH has an irrational dislike of Dungy, just saying.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not saying that Dungy is not, but if he is a HOF coach, isn't just about every coach who one a Super Bowl or made 2 appearances a HOF coach as well.

What about Cowher, when he left he was the longest tenured coach of his generation? What about Gruden who one Super Bowl in Tampa when Dungy couldn't?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd put Dungy in ahead of Gruden, simply because the teams he has coached have produced a consistently high level of performance. Eight straight seasons taking a team to the playoffs and a Super Bowl win is very impressive. He is 123-70 overall, and has a regular season record of 60-20 with the Colts. That the Colts have won 75% of the regular season games he's coached is very impressive to me.

Gruden is 82-70 as a coach overall, and 42-42 with the Bucs.

Draft saved Draft deleted