1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Bologna and cheese with mayo on white. Every day from first grade through eighth grade. Switched to ham and cheese in high school for whatever reason.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I ate, and still do when I get a hair up my ass... The BLC = the classic BLT dropping the crappy tomato and adding a nice slice of American cheese.
    Also ate the grilled cheese, mom taught me early how to use the stove to grill one up.
    And if I was really good, my mom would make some chicken salad with the canned chicken, celery, relish and other things. I'd take that and either toast up some bread or snag a whole row of unsalted tops crackers and go to town.
    How I stayed skinny until I got out of college beats me.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I never grew up. I made grilled cheese two nights ago (never done it with an iron, though) and made PB&J a couple nights before (grape jelly).

Growing up, it was pita pizzas or cheese sammiches in the microwave. One piece of bread, a slice of american cheese, folded in half and microwaved for like 30 seconds. Mmmm. Now, it sounds disgusting.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Grilled cheese, with muenster and provolone, or a medium cheddar. None of this Kraft American Singles crap.

Butter in the pan, not on the bread... keeps things from getting soggy. Makes them perfectly crisp.

Also like peanut butter, banana and honey all mixed together.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You, my friend, have clearly never been to a good BBQ joint. Perhaps I'll have to spring for you and spnited during your 60th b-day parties in '09. :D

As for me: Mom almost always packed me a PBJ w/potato chips and one of those box drinks in elementary school. Wrote out my name and room number on the bag. During the summer, when I was at camp, I got a can of soda instead of the box drink. Good times. Once in a while I'd get a bologna sandwich or something, and I remember the unbridled joy when I went back to school the day after Easter and found in my lunch a kielbasa sandwich.

When we were at home, we usually got grilled cheese. Mmmm those were good.

I still like PBJ, but at some point after elementary school, my preferred sandwich became ham with lots of mustard. I'd eat those almost every Saturday and if I ever bag a lunch or dinner, it's always a ham sandwich. A few months ago, we went to my parents' house on a Saturday afternoon and I got all warm and fuzzy because Mom had cold cuts and potato chips on the counter when we walked in.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"If I wanted me a sammich, I'd have made me a sammich."[/shirleyhemphillrip] Anyone who remembers the context is going "ewww" about now.

Anyhoo, I was big-time grilled cheese, and can still make a mean one.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Outing alert: BYH is Oz.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you insult Oz like that!!!!

9. PB&J at home, a reuben at my grandparents.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, no, I understand BBQ joints. The bread is almost an afterthought. :)

Making a reuben is like roasting a chicken or making an omelette. It seems simple but there are an infinite number of ways of screwing it up.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ok, i'm just weird. love me some grilled cheese, plain ol' bologna and cheese or pimento cheese but my gran gran slopped down a mean potted meat straight from the can and for some odd reason, i loved two pieces of bread smothered in a-1 sauce and that's it.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

As a kid, I was fond of putting my cheetos on my bologna sandwich, instead of eating them separately. Made things quicker.

Draft saved Draft deleted