1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI to cut AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

That's the latest bid of "good news" to come down our fabulous pipeline.

Of course, it takes two years' notice to cancel AP, so the hope is it's just a negotiating ploy since it's more than 100 papers.

The beat(ing) goes on...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I remember my Lean Dean paper doing that as a "negotiating ploy" several years ago. When the two years were up, he folded the paper.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

That would be about par for the course around these parts, though we are still making money, just not enough to reach "plan."

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow, the whole chain is dropping AP, eh? Wow. That sucks.

Big newspaper exec 1: How are we going to save this newspaper chain?
    Big newspaper exec 2: We could always provide less news.
    Big newspaper exec 1: Provide less news? Brilliant!

And we wonder why this business is going in the crapper. ::)

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Makes perfect sense. After all, if the local congressman gets caught in bed with a dead hooker, his press office will quickly send y'all a release with all the details. And none of the readers would care that Johnny Baseball, who went to Hometown High, threw a one-hitter against the Twins the night before.
    This industry is like a guy, who is in ICU and spending his time smoking cigars, eating bacon double cheeseburgers and shooting heroin.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Through back channels, I hear this is most likely a ploy to negotiate a cheaper rate with AP when the contract is due next. They figure, with 100-plus papers, AP will negotiate.

Who knows?

7. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

No offense to the folk that work for CNHI nor those that read it, but I'd kind of like to see AP tell these yahoo's to take a long walk off a short pier.

8. Damn, if I was at a CNHI paper, I'd be looking to go to JRC, damnit, I mean Singleton, crap, I mean Gannett.

Ah, fuck it.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

FOF: I couldn't have put it better myself...

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

fixed

11. I don't buy it.
    CNHI is cheap, but even the bean counters running the chain have to realize what a lifeline the AP is to a daily newspaper.
    Are there any other daily news services? Cox? Reuters (which is more international)? As much as you bitch, it is hard to beat the AP.
    I'm sure it is a negotiating ploy.

That being said, I think the AP holds most of the cards in this game. I don't CNHI has much leverage.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Former CNHI editor who has been out of the business for more than two years now...and I can say I'm not at all surprised by this, although I am disgusted. Idiots. Ab-so-lute idiots. The way they mistreated their employees at my rag was so shameful, I have had zero regrets about leaving the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted