1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barry Bonds headlines (real ones)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Case by case basis. You can't blanket everyone that disagrees with you in this case as a bad journalist.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There is no case where you imply in any way that an unconvicted person did a crime.

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

does that mean it can't be talked about in the story, either?

4. dooley_womack1

You can cover your ass and put out the facts fully in 20-25 inches. A hedline is a stark hammer, you have to take great care that it makes impact without smashing.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Interesting. I'm sure some of you will have a panic attack when you see this.

http://www.newspagedesigner.com/portfolios/by_category_detail.php?Category=Sports

6. dooley_womack1

Nah, just a sad shake of the head, that a designer's "oooo, this'd be rad" moment of id was enabled.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Sorry I don't rise to your "good journalist" standards, dools. We'll have to agree to disagree on the acceptable use of the asterisk.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

With the exception of the first sentence, that was the first reasonable ending to an argument i've seen on this site.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, one out of two ain't bad.

BTW, I don't agree that the page JS linked to is an acceptable use.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

My bad, it was another poster. As for you JS, here's to old times:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. pallister

pallister Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Kudos to Harrison Goodman of the Washington Times to post both versions of the sports cover.
    One with a fine feature on a swimmer that didn't see the light of day and the new one with Bonds.

I like the Chronicle's hed, "Bonds swings into history" and the Virginian-Pilot has a neato cover

Draft saved Draft deleted