1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Drummers......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A few songs from Dire Straits' live Alchemy album drifted across my iPod the other day and reminded me of Terry Williams, who was playing with them at the time. A real powerhouse guy on the tubs who some may recall from his work with Rockpile (and Lowe and Edmunds etc.) and the Motors (particularly the awesome "Love And Loneliness").

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Having seen Little Feat eight or nine times, you're right, Richie Hayward belongs in the discussion.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The only way to make a quantifiable comparison is to listen to more of Chester's work with Weather Report or some other gig in which he had a hand in the creative process. With Genesis, Chester is playing the music the way PC and the guys want it played ... think hired gun instead of cog in the writing machine.

I will say this: If Chester is anywhere near as good as PC, he's impressive.

Top drummers:
    Neil Peart
    Phil Collins
    John Bonham
    Dave Weckl
    Stewart Copeland
    Vinny Colaiuta
    Bill Bruford
    Manu Katche

4. Jim Capaldi did some fine work on the early Traffic stuff. And he's another singing drummer, too.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Frank Edwin Wright, III -- otherwise known as Tre' Cool. He is vastly underrated, in my opinion.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was also a big fan of russell kunkel, l.a. studio session drummer extraordinaire in the '70s and '80s. always toured with james taylor, jackson browne, etc. played with other l.a. studio types to comprise "the section," a fine instrumental rock band.

7. Also married to Carole King for a while, as I recall.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

don't know about that, but i heard he and carly simon may have had a tryst.

wow. just googled russ and learned he was married to mama cass' sister, leah, and then singer nicolette larson at the time of her premature death in the late '90s. he also appeared in "this is spinal tap." ;D ;D ;D

9. cgibby

cgibby New Member

10. Frylock

Frylock Member

Neil Peart is the best in my opinion, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater.
    Peart, by the way, is pronounced Peert.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I tried to get into Dream Theater ... really did since it's prog and along the lines of my all-time favorites. For some reason, Portnoy's work didn't grab me ...

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But Charlie Watts sucks! He's not showy! He isn't technically brilliant enough! He couldn't hold Neil Peart's jock! [/woebegottenRushfans]

Draft saved Draft deleted