1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lamenting SportsCenter's Baroque Period

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You think we're tough on ESPN? Ha!

http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/lamenting_sportscenters_baroque_period.php

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His praise of Simmons makes his views suspect. But I would tend toward rococo myself.

3. offwing28

offwing28 Member

This guy sounds like my friends and me. In 1997.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Bob Ley is the linear, is Stuart Scott the painterly?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Elevated sports talk?
    It was a highlight show.
    Still is, really. If you're going to criticize SportsCenter, you can criticize it for too much Yankees (or too much baseball, generally) or for the Who's Now? junk. But I really don't see the confluence of SportsCenter and Rome Is Burning. It's like criticizing the sports columnist because the cops coverage isn't any good.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

If it isn't baroque, don't fix it.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. " There are still too many white voices, but the black voices are only so much verbiage. A guy like Stephen A. Smith, he has the intelligence of a Philadelphia mall rat, but he gets away with it because he's black and there's an understanding that that's somehow how a black guy talks. Stu Scott, on the other hand, at no point overly reminded you that he was black, but he never apologized for it, either. It does seem to me that a kind of race politics is partly responsible for the lack of that sort of eloquence."

Ah, Mr. Professor Guy?
    Whatever you may think of his broadcast persona, Stephen A Smith is, by any measure, as smart as Bill Fucking Simmons.
    Jesus.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

ahem.

grant farred should only be given print time once he owes up to being a part of the mike nifong disaster. until then...

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Those sentences could stand some editing. A lot of editing, in fact.

11. What is the policy on Q&A's?
    I'm inclined to not edit them for content at all.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This guy conveniently ignores the likes of Stan Verrell and Fred Hickman because, frankly, he knows so little about SportsCenter it's painful. "Too many" white voices? What does that mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted