1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulane Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The Times-Picayune, metropolitan New Orleans' daily newspaper, seeks an experienced, high-energy reporter to cover Tulane University's sports programs.

Reporting experience at a daily newspaper required. The ability to write clear, concise stories on tight deadlines, develop sources and manage a beat is a must. In addition, applicants should have experience pulling together in-depth, big-picture stories. A familiarity with and interest in online opportunities a bonus.

Those interested should send resume and clips (do not e-mail resume and clips) to:

Lynn Cunningham
    Assistant to the Editor
    The Times-Picayune
    3800 Howard Ave.
    New Orleans, LA 70125

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2007/2103.html

2. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

No emailed clips and resume? WTF?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I hope you meant to have a sarcasm font on for that. I think it's a great idea.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What kind of play does Tulane routinely get in the T-P? I would assume LSU is probably the top beat at that paper. Just curious to see where the Wave falls on the pecking order of sports there.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The Greenies get a lot of love in the Times-Pic. The Saints are No. 1, the Tigers are No. 2, the Hornets are probably 3, but Tulane gets plenty of coverage. That's a pretty good job there, boys and girls.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Interesting. That's a pretty nice job. The Times-Pic is a good paper to work for and the staff there are all pretty good people for the most part. Like Tyler Durden said, the Greenies get a lot of love from the Times-Pic, but LSU and Saints are pretty much king during football season.

The only thing bad is Tulane's programs aren't all that great. Of course, you can keep telling yourself "There's always baseball season."

I love New Orleans, but I don't know if I could live there. If things were the same as they were four months ago at my paper, I'd apply for this job in a heartbeat. It's a good gig that could lead to bigger things.

7. tyler durden 71351

Who left that beat?

8. occasionally

occasionally Member

Fred Robinson has had the beat for several years. Heard he may be retiring later this year.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

One other problem I heard about the area is insurance isn't the cheapest these days. Just worth considering.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Fred's a great guy. He's got some great Pistol Pete stories from when he covered the New Orleans Jazz back in the day.

11. tyler durden 71351

Yeah, but the Times-Pic pays pretty good and they have nice benefits -- all done to keep it from being a union shop.

12. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

This is a great, great job if -- and only if -- you are a writer without a huge ego. If you are ok with an in-depth feature appearing on Page 3, then you'll love it. Cuz you travel real well, the paper puts money into this team, it's just you won't always (or ever) get the play that LSU or the Saints get.
    If you're fine with that, I'd say this is one of the best (and low-stress) jobs that has been open in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted