1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I can side with you on that. I've seen DMB three or four times. I wouldn't say they were the worst shows I've been too, but wasn't impressed or in awe of them. That being said, I also usually went because a friend had an extra ticket. I was a casual fan and it seemed like a good time, but after the shows I didn't want to rush to a store and buy the albums I didn't have.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those bastards didn't do Did It In A Minute when I saw them! Though they did do Dreamtime, which was awesome.

3. Best: Melvins at RKCNDY [Seattle, WA] in October of 1996. They played three full sets. First set was noise/experimental stuff. Second set was super slow/quiet stuff. Third set was balls out rock.
    Worst: [tie] The The at the Bronco Bowl in the early '90s. Johnny Marr is not enough to make up for bad lighting and a smoke machine that didn't quit (eventually setting off the smoke detectors in the venue).
    Nine Inch Nails on the Downward Spiral tour. I fell asleep.
    Last: Supersuckers at Curtain Club about a month ago.
    Next: Three shows with SLAYER end of this month/early Sept. Beyond that the next ones I know of are Turbonegro [Oct.], Dark Funeral [day before Halloween], and Enslaved [Dec.].

4. August West

August West Member

best: grateful dead in dekalb, ill. 10/29/77 and van at the beacon 3/7/89
    worst: little feat at madison square garden 12/21/89
    next: no idea
    last: jon cleary & absolute monster gentlemen at the lions den, nyc 2/07

5. kicksave

kicksave Member

Best: U2 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, 1992. Public Enemy opened. Though I, too, was at the Hall and Oates show at Summerfest in '83, Bubbler - also terrific.
    Worst: Cars at Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wis., 1984, Wang Chung opened and was, sadly, the much better band.
    Last: Daughtry at Summerfest, July 6.
    Next: Probably whoever the kids want to see at Summerfest next year.

6. Mira

Mira Member

Best: Elvis Costello and REM (I've seen them multiple times, they're good everywhere)
    Last: Norah Jones
    Worst: Leftover Salmon (my husband loves jam bands, I had no choice)

7. lono

lono Active Member

Best: Springsteen at The Meadowland, 8/22/85. The place rocked so hard the stands were shaking.

Worst: Def Leppard on the back of a flatbed truck at Phoenix International Raceway a couple of years ago. Terrible acoustics, disinterested crowd, awful show. Just wretched.

Most recent: Cross Canadian Ragweed. Good show.

Next: Allman Brothers Band

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dead. To. Me!!!!! Def Lep is NEVER bad.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Best: There were several.
    U2 at Melon Arena in Pittsburgh, on the All That You Can;t Leave behind Tour 2001-ish. It was fall, I do remember.

Ryan Adams 2001 at the Agora in Cleveland. Small place, great show.

Pearl Jam, Louisville Gardens 1994, maybe 1995. Absolutely freakin' RAAAWWWKKKEDD! Encore with a few songs from the not-yet-released Vitology.

Paul McCartney, Rupp Arena, Lexington 1989. Probably one of the few shows I would ever see with my dad. Incredible, even in the nosebleeds.

Old 97s at Grog Shop in Clevleand. 2 plus hors with Rhett Miller going solo during the break. Good times.

The worst: Counting Crows, Louisville Palace 1995. Sucked blue whale. Still buy the albums though. Smashing Pumpkins, 1995, Louisville Gardens. Seems everyoe has a Billy Corgan's a whiny bitch in concert story. And he is big time.

Last: Death Cab for Cutie earier this year at the Louisville Palace.

Next: Who knows?? Wilc is playing Louisville Slugger Field this September, so.....

10. lono

lono Active Member

Sorry, SC. Even the lead singer admitted so when he told the audience they'd be playing somewhere else in town that night and to come see them there, where they'd be putting on a real concert.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Best: Grateful Dead at the Palace of Auburn Hills (we drove from Jersey to Detroit in one mad swoop, fell into our seats as the arena lights went down and stage lights turned on, smoked a few big ol' fatties and enjoyed a great night of music.

Best: Grateful Dead at Soldier Field, July 4, 1994. (maybe it was the rasta pasta that put me into a great mood by the end of the show, but that post-concert fireworks show was motherfucking sexy, and memories of it still gives me chills).

Best: Oingo Boingo, 1987, Hollywood Palladium. (my first conceret, and the energy washed over me like a tidal wave. those guys could put on a show).

Worst: Gang Starr/Talib Kweli/Common, 2002, Albuquerque. (i like all 3 brands of music, and the co-workers with whom i watched the show. but the music, venue, ambience was just so-so. plus, we stood too close to a mountain of industrial speakers, and my left-ear hearing ain't been the same since).

Next: ???

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Best (tie): Springsteen & E Street Band, Feb. 13, 1981, Humphrey Coliseum, Starkville, MS. Ticket was $10.

Mark Knopfler, May 21, 2001, Ryman Auditorium, Nashville.

Worst: Bob Dylan, April 19, 1993.

Most recent: David Rawlings, with his wife Gillian Welch, at a local music club. Highlight was an acoustic version of "Go Ask Alice" ... Gillian introduced it by saying she had performed it only twice before ... at Wavy Gravy's birthday party in the Bay Area.

Draft saved Draft deleted