1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Oh, yeah. That's the other thing.

Dropped Diet Coke flat on Monday when I began the diet. 64+ ounces of water daily.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've hit a big-time rut. Had dropped 25 lbs. and went to the gym regularly, then lost the habit and the smart-eating habits in the midst of my move. Now I've gained those 25 lbs. back and I eat like crap.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I went lifting today...sorry.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes all it takes is one good day to reverse it. When I get into a rut with my workouts, I'm slow, tired, dragging. Then one day I'll have a fantastic workout and I'm on track again. Wish I didn't have so many peaks and valleys, but I consistently get in some weights and cardio time, and it's working for me. With our hours it's pretty easy to make it habitual. What the hell else are you going to do in the early afternoon?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True, Moderbutt.

I just can't get myself going to do it.

It's hard enough to motivate myself to get ready for work nowadays (though that's an entirely different topic).

6. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Why not approach every other day at the gym as your first day?

I tried several times to get back in shape at my old gig. The hardest part was finding the time repeatedly. Go today then as soon as your finished find the exact time you're going on Tues/Wed/Thurs then approach as if you're starting all over again. I train with a group and the scheduled workouts are the easiest ones to make.

Pretty soon you fall into a routine and it's so much easier. Try to tap into motivations that are different from work. If work sucks then look at working out as your escape. Those endorphins will really help and make a huge difference.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Haven't worked out in three months with my move to the burbs and a job change. The problem is that, with my commute and the different requirements of my job, I can't skip out for 75 minutes for a workout the way that I used to. I am as out of shape as I've ever been and decided that I need to do something a few times a week.

So I've decided to buy some gym equipment for my house. Looking to but an exercise bike first, because it is something that the missus and I can both use (I can't use a treadmill and she hates the stairmaster). Any idea how much a decent one should cost and where might have a good deal?

8. Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

I lost 1.2 pounds last week, my eighth on Weight Watchers. 26 down, 89 to go.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

55 miles this morning. Started with a mostly flat, slightly uphill 10 miles to the mouth of a canyon. then the fun started.

http://cyclepass.com/t_put_Big_M_Little_M.html - we followed this route, more or less, with in reverse and with different start and stop points.

First is an 8 mile climb from 4,700 feet up to a summit at 6,227. A short downhill and then back up. Six miles of climbing cutbacks at a 7-8 percent grade. We topped out at 7,420 ft.

Total climbing according to the guy with the GPS computer on his bike about 5,000 ft.

Average speed was 15.6 mph. top speed was 47.4.

10. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I did 30 miles, not a lot hills around these parts though.

It was good...and frustrating. I rode with my tri-training team. There was a beginner and an advanced ride, no intermediate group. So I could either do 45 miles at 20 mph....or 30 miles at 15 mph. I opted for the 30 miler because I didn't know the route and didn't want to get dropped. Lot of coasting today, oh well.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Idaho, your cycling is tremendous. You must be in great shape. Hopefully, those of us who are posting about our battles with obesity will someday ride with you.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Beerdude,

I'm in good shape compared to 18 months ago. Back then, though, I was only skinny. I had no energy, no muscle tone, no endurance and some nice little love handles growing. The riding, eating better and other exercising has left me feeling much better. The quest for fitness is best measured if you're feeling more energetic and happier, IMO. I didn't start riding my bike in order to be Lance Armstrong. I started riding in order to just improve my declining health and fitness level.

Now I'm hooked and want to race with the guys, even though I'm always near the back of the pack.

I know everything is reletive, but the guys I rode with Sat morning are monsters. They left me behind on every climb and waited for me at the summit. In a few weeks, they will all be doing a 206-mile, one-day race and have designs on winning their classification. I'll be at the race in the comfort of my car, carrying a notepad and covering it.

I'll be happy to ride with anyone of you if we ever get a chance. I've found cycling to be a good, low impact workout with pretty good results. My love handles, however, are still resisting the urge to go away. Must be my fondness for Zingers, Fritos and other such rewards after a ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted