1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you left the journalism biz today ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Willie-Butch, Jul 23, 2007.

1. The Commish

The Commish Guest

This is a good wrap-up of the state of the biz and what one guy is doing.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Mizzougrad96 - I would think the job of a teacher would vary greatly from handling 2nd graders and multiplication tables to sophomore boys who are hitting puberty to a professor at a university who gets paid to do research and write books.

I'd hate to deal with little ones because of exhibit A - your friend and the suspension; but, I think I'd be a helluva good college professor.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a great article, but I don't know how many of us will be going to poker-dealing school... ;D

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I look at any teaching K-12 like dealing with 60+ prep parents every single day... It would take a six-figure offer for me to even consider that shit and I know that's not happening...

I think a lot of us would be great college professors, but those jobs are so hard to come by. I talked recently with a prof at a very good J-school and after working there for 10 years she was making $40K.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

flash said pole. [/beavisand...]

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Collect my big fat pension cheque and retire into the sunset.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Heh heh heh heh ...

8. right on

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You're right. I offered two responses and not much seriousness in either.

Last night I sent in a resume for a writing position with the FAA; aviation is another passion. I've already tried with places like ALPA and NATCA, but never heard a sniff from either. So I'm going to be praying very hard about this one. And, compared to some of the other fed-gov jobs I've applied for, I'm actually moderately qualified for this one.

Secondly, I looked into how many classes (i.e., how much $$$$) it would take to become a sommelier. I don't know how in demand they are, and I'd have to think long and hard about the money (anywhere between $800 for an introductory course up to $2500 for the licensure course). It's a longshot, but it's not off the table, either.

10. Lt. Drebin

Lt. Drebin New Member

I looking to become an importer/exporter.

Either that or an architect.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not me. Why limit myself? I'd be a city planner.

12. turnovers

turnovers Member

I was all about chasing tornadoes as I entered college. Math killed that idea cold. Then, naturally, I switched to computer science, which calculus succinctly killed, cold. Writing was the next step!

Draft saved Draft deleted