1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor, New York Yankees, NYC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jul 30, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Good lord, if I was qualified enough for this job, I'd shit right through my pants. I wish I had editing experience. Anyone who IS qualified for this position but doesn't apply is probably one of the biggest damned fools ever, IMO.

2. Wonder what it pays ... unless you're one of the six "Friends," it's not cheap to live in NYC.

3. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

I hear you can get a good rate on an apartment near the stadium.

4. This was George Costanza's job, right? Wonder where he left to.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You might be more qualified than you realize. I don't know much about you specifically, but they have had positions like this open up in the past. They are not hiring superstars for these jobs. You will deal with a lot of shit. That is the key thing here. When the position for editor-in-chief opened up maybe 7 to 10 years ago (can't remember exactly when it was), the pay they were offering was ridiculously low and a string of people I know passed on the job (including some who didn't even ask to be considered)--and laughed at them for good measure. So it may not be the dream job you are thinking ... if things haven't changed, you'll be expected to be there all the time, earning crap and getting shit on a lot. The place is populated by people who want to say they work for the Yankees -- and will put up with anything for it.

Maybe the atmosphere around there has relaxed some recently, I don't know, but it has never struck me as a very fun place to work. You shouldn't go by what I say, though. Send in your stuff. You might get a call back. From the ad, it sounds like it is a special-projects kind of position working below whoever it is they have in charge of publications now. They are probably looking for someone young and cheap, which is definitely their M.O. so I wouldn't count anyone out based on what I know about the organization.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you can edit a feature on Jason Giambi without making sure that there is at least one graf on his steroid use, this is the job for you.

7. Lt. Drebin

Lt. Drebin New Member

Wasn't he traded to Tyson's Chicken???

Might be a great job, but to know you work for the Evil Empire would make it tough for some of us.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Just live in Hoboken, hop the PATH to 33rd, then switch over to the D train.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, like living in Hoboken is cheap ::)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hoboken?! EEEEWWWWWW, I'm DYIN.... [/bugsbunny]

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Totally agree with hockeybeat. This is like working for scout or rivals.

12. Larrbear

Larrbear Member

George was Assistant to the traveling secretary- he got the job in during the opposite episode- possibly the best seinfeld episode ever

"I'm busting Jerry, I'm busting!"

Draft saved Draft deleted