1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod may have already hit No. 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 26, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If A-Rod homers Friday night in the completion of the suspended game with the Orioles it will be career home run No. 493 and the homer off Gil Meche the other night was career homer number 500. The suspended game stats will be considered part of the June 28 game. So if you date the homer then, it's home run number 493.
    How do you work the headlines to post-date a milestone homer? ;D
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070726&content_id=2111597&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

(I hope this wasn't a d_b)

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I heard this earlier and thought it sounded fascinating.

What about this scenario:

A guy has a 20-game hit streak and goes 0-for-4 before game gets suspended, seemingly ending his streak.
    The next day he starts another 20-game hit streak through today's game.
    Tomorrow, his team completes the suspended game and he gets a hit.

With the new rules, does he now own a 41-game hit streak or not?

3. Hiro

Hiro Member

Or what if it's one of those games they say they'll finish at the end of the year IF it has an impact on a race. Guy hits in 25 straight, has a suspended game 0-for-3, comes back and hits 30 straight then misses. Whether he gets the chance to make that middle hit could be completely out of his power.

Neato! Though it would be the least climactic record ever.

Edit: Do they even do that with games? Did I make that up?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm pretty sure they don't always make up games based on how much time is left in the season and whether it involves cross-country flights and whatnot.

5. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

Interesting topic. Pretty sure the homer wasn't against Meche, though.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

ARod's 499th or 500th depending on what happens in Baltimore was definitely against Meche. It was a 3-2 count and on Meche's 120th pitch of the night and ARod send it over the right-centerfield wall.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

A-Rod's homer was the one that chased Meche.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Stark column waiting to happen

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What exactly is the rule for suspended games? Will they do it for any game that has started, or does the game have to go x number of innings before they'll suspend it rather than simply postpone and replay it?

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

All this changing time stuff...I'm freakin' out, man!

Draft saved Draft deleted