1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer, Ashland, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Independent in Ashland, Ky., is seeking an experienced sports writer/designer to join its award-winning team. Qualified candidates should have at least 1-2 years experience and be able to write and design under the constraints of a tight deadline. Strong knowledge of Quarx/InDesign a must for this daily, 20,000 circulation paper that is a perennial Kentucky Press Association winner. Salary is negotiable based on experience with 401(k) and health benefits. To apply, send writing and design examples to Adam VanKirk, Sports Department, The Independent, PO Box 311 Ashland, KY 41105. Apply by e-mail to avankirk@dailyindependent.com

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Usual CNHI warning applies: Cheap and proud of it.

You'll get to know lots about the mighty ::) Paul Blazer High School.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Plus, Ashland and the surrounding area is a complete shithole. Get ready to have film all over your car.

But, at least you're near Huntington.

4. What's wrong with Huntington, Bob?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I drove through that area once and have been glad that so far I've never had to go back. Maybe I was there on a bad day, but between the huge oil refinery in KY, the coal mines on the West Virginia side and what I believe were steel mills across the river in Ohio, there was a huge black cloud over the area.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

My boss, who I've worked with for more than 7 years, grew up near Ashland.

Had a co-worker who came from there and I know some of the guys at the ADI. All good peeps.

The newspaper chain that runs it though? Eh.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Blue font is sarcasm.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yes, I have nothing good to say about Huntington. Blue font intended. One of the scuzziest cities I've been in. But that whole area is just depessed and nasty. Just my opinion.

There are good peeps at the ADI, and there are good sports in the area. But the paper...

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I find it funny that one of the first threads I read upon my return from a week in Huntington is this. Has nothing to do with this job, I'm just saying...

10. Grizzant00

Grizzant00 New Member

To those interested,

The position at The Independent has lots of perks for anyone that loves the excitement of big-city sports in a small-city environment. Coaches, fans and players are some of the best people that I have ever met and the staff there is just as genuine.

The executive editor, managing editor and senior sports writer all have 30+ years in Ashland sports under their belt and there is also a new sports editor (Adam VanKirk) who has some innovative ideas and loves to turn even the roughest visions of a young sports writer (myself) into some great, elaborate designs and features.

I am the person who is vacating the position there and I will say this....it took a "can't pass up" opportunity for me to leave, otherwise I would have been perfectly content becoming the next 30-year veteran of this newspaper.

GDT

Draft saved Draft deleted