1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Drinks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yesterday I put two flats of blackberries in a big jar with almost a gallon of Smirnoff. I'm hoping they'll make great garnishes for our wedding cocktails (which I highly recommend -- equal parts Stoli raspberry, Sprite and sweet and sour), then it will leave us with some badass blackberry vodka.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know about other people but there's something essentially summery about a gin and tonic with a twist of lime.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, that's a summer standard at my house too. Very crisp and refreshing.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Let me just warn you. Those blackberries, after about 12-24 hours, become little chunks of purple vodka. They will continue to digest in your stomach and metabolize for hours: long after you spent a fun Saturday night with friends, you are still staggering around on Sunday, mysteriously getting drunker. Beware.

One night I left Boom with a container of vodka-soaked cherries to try. Boom is a big man who can drink and never gets drunk. I came back later to find him passed out in a little pile of stems. Very potent stuff.

That said, someone turned me on to Effen Black Cherry (vodka) recently, with a splash of cranberry....wonderful.

And there is nothing wrong with the new Grey Goose Pear, on the rocks. Just perfect. (Absolut Pear is gross, tastes like Hi-C).

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Funny you bring this up, because I was looking at the thread earlier today and remembered that you had recommened to me the Grey Goose pear after my equally negative experience with Absolut Pears. That recommendation got me to buy an airplane bottle of it, which is chilling in the freezer as I type.

I also have fresh lemonade (for Lynchburgs) and orange juice (for whatever the fuck I feel like putting in there, more than likely supercold Bacardi Peach Red). I intend to recreate Saturday night, even if by my lonesome (my default setting anyway, so what the hell?).

Question to anyone: I've seen plenty of pina colada recipes, but none that don't require blending with ice. And my hand-held blender doesn't really do the job. So is there a way to make one shaken, not blended, if I already have the ingredients (coconut cream, rum, pineapple juice)?

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Quick fix - get a lemonade coolata with whipped cream and an airplane bottle of rum. Add and stir. Mmmm.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Yes. Drink beer instead, Sally. :)

8. pallister

pallister Guest

$1 Buds at the beach.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Bourbon, neat.
    Good all year-round.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Got to agree with Joe.
    My favorite summer drink is beer and lots and lots of water during the day, unless I am having day beers on the golf course.

11. cubs

cubs Member

Has anyone else tried the new Miller Chill beer....it is delicious.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I had some and didn't like it too much, it was too fruity or something to me. But my roommate swears by it. Claims it is the best beer to drink during the hot summer months.

Draft saved Draft deleted