1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stat question - football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Jul 24, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

If I'm wrong on any, clarify.
    Thanks all.

Case 1:

QB carries for 8 yards, pitches to a RB who gains four more: QB gets the carry and eight yards. RB gets a carry and yardage from that point.

Case 2:
    QB throws to a receiver for 20 yards. Receiver runs for 4 yards, pitches back to a teammate who carries for 13 yards. Teammate gets rushing yardage and carry because he can't get credit for another reception on one pass.

Case 3:
    Punt returner retrieves ball he got a hand on but didn't possess, 14 yards downfield after the punt hits the turf. If the punt yardage is credited from the touch, then your return yardage should be determined from that point too even though there wans't a clear possession, only a creation of a live ball.

2. Huggs4Thuggs

Huggs4Thuggs New Member

For some reason I think the runningback gets all the yard from scrimmage on the first play...Like an option.

I could be wrong.

3. times38

times38 Member

I'm not sure on the second two, but I'm pretty sure the running back would get credit for all the yardage in the first one. I very well could be wrong though.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

CASE 1 - No, running back gets the entire yardage.
    CASE 2 - Receiver gets reception and 17 receiving yards.
    CASE 3 - Correct. Essentially, the 14 extra yards are the same as him catching the ball, running backwards to avoid a tackler and coming back up.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/football_stats_manual/2006/2006_football_stats_manual.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/football_stats_manual/index.html

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Case 1: QB gets a carry and eight yards. Running back gets four rushing yards, but no carry. (Yes, it's odd, but that's the rule.)

Case 2: Same concept. Receiver No. 1 is credited with a catch and 24 receiving yards. Teammate is credited for 13 receiving yards, but no catch.

Case 3: What everyone else said, AFAIK.

You can't add receptions and rushing attempts on the same play because it would interfere with the tallying of total plays. So, yes, according to these rules, it is possible for a player to be listed in the box score as "Chucklehead 0-4."

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of entries like that, back in the day.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

In Case 2, you left out the 20 yards he said the QB threw the ball. The total yardage would be 37.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Another fun one is an intentional-grounding call. There is no pass attempt, the defense is credited with a sack and the quarterback given rushing yards to the end of the play, and the offense is assessed a penalty for 0 yards and loss of down.

Draft saved Draft deleted