1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Editor, Sports, AOL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by YaBBforum, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did Scarbrough get promoted?

I don't know if Whitlock is still there. I know he hasn't written too recently, but there aren't too many columnists who are that active in July. I'm guessing if he wasn't there someone would have heard about it...

Still love Whitlock, even though he says he boycotts this site now... Oh well...

2. thebiglead had something last month saying whitlock is leaving aol for foxsports.com. http://thebiglead.com/?p=2578

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

My bad then.

4. samamico22

samamico22 Guest

"AOL Sports is a fast-rising property in the internet space."

Funny, but I've heard quite differently.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I heard "Prodigy" was making a big comeback, too.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

8-plus years online editorial experience?
    Good luck with that.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

al gore will kick our asses for this one.

8. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

Perhaps I'm a little off here, but could they be limiting themselves somewhat by looking for eight years of online editorial experience? I can't imagine too many people have that much to their name, if for no other reason than because the new media is still kind of, well, new. Maybe they're looking for a veteran, but I'd imagine there are a list of candidates from a Yahoo or ESPN or some other .com who have three to five years of experience, but who lack in no other area. Colleges have only recently started offering classes and specializations in online journalism, so some of the people actally trained in this area might only be out of school for a couple of years now.

Either way, good luck AOL...

9. Eight years is about right if they are looking for someone who's been through both the boom and the bust times and lived to tell about it. ESPN.com, Sportsline, etc. were all around 10 years ago.

10. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

You could probably count on both hands how many people are qualified at 8 years online editorial experience.

11. Lt. Drebin

Lt. Drebin New Member

No wonder they need a new online editor with a focus on fantasy. The AOL.com platform is barely functional. Have constant trouble logging in, and when you send feedback to inquire about the problem, it comes back nondeliverable because the mailbox is full. So apparently there's a problem and they are too inattentive to even accept inquires requiring the problem.

Hopefully they get someone in there who can at least make the site function.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

that's probably fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted