1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to find some solely freelance writers...who can actually make a living...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Are there any writers on the boards who just freelance -- magazine, newspaper, webite, etc.?

Please let me know, so I can PM you some questions...

Or are there enough curious people that I should type some up here?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Where'd Jones go?

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'm not a freelance guy now, but its a path I could see myself exploring down the road...
    perhaps you could post some questions so a discussion could kick off...

4. OK ICB, thanks for responding...

That's where I'm at now; now a freelancer, but want to be...

I've done freelance work for some very good major papers (Miami Herald, NO Times Picayune, etc.), and I have a nice, big story coming out for another major daily this week. I feel like I could get freelance work on a regular basis from some majors, even become a regular stringer for one like I was in college. But I don't know how much a realistic amount of money it would take to support myself on a freelance budget...

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

the money is what worries me. How do people who freelance full-time make ends meet? How do they keep the cash-flow constant?
    Is there really enough opportunity out there that someone could live comfortably?

I know there's some freelance people on this board, hopefully they'll offer some insight.

6. Yup, I'm with you. If I were to freelance, I'd find a job bartending/waiting or 9-5. That's what scares me though, writing less and less.

Then again, if my movie sells...

7. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

I've done it. PM with questions.

One bit of advice: Have health insurance. And by that, I mean have a spouse with health insurance or be Canadian.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Generally there is a husband/wife/partner who helps keep them afloat. That way the freelancer can get health benefits and eat.
    I've yet to meet a successful freelance writer in this country who can make a decent living on their own, without a second job or a partner's financial support. But I know several who have done it alone and full-time while living overseas.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

CU, I had the great good fortune of landing at the mag without having freelanced. I've always been curious about that world -- it seems vaguely pirate-like to me, free and plundering -- but I've never been brave enough to take the leap from a salaried position.

What can I say? I like knowing when the check is coming.

But yeah, I'd be curious to hear from folks who make a living on their own.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

You know, I don't want my above post taken the wrong way. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm looking down on freelancers or making fun of them. Quite the opposite. I've always had a highly romantic kind of notion about that life. I'd like to hear the truth of it, is all.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No, that's my bad. I guess I just didn't understand the exact nature of your employment. Magazine bytitles confuse me.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've been full-time freelance for more than two years. Love it. I was in newspapers for many years but upon moving to a new state with my wife (who had a new job and a baby on board) we decided that I would go this route to be able to stay home with the newborn for her first year. Kinda thought I'd try to get into a 9-to-5 job when she got to day-care age, but she's there now and I'm still freelancing. And I fear I'm way too hooked on weekday golf to ever give it up.

I piggyback off the wife's insurance and that's definitely a big deal, so I can't pretend to know the freelance-as-single life. But work-wise it has been very good. Online and magazines are steady sources of work and probably the most enjoyable. Occasionally I'll do PR writing, the money is too good to pass up. My lowest-paying client? Yep, the local major metro paper. But I like keeping a foot in that door.

I'll answer questions over PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted