1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transformers: Dumb, but entertaining (possible mild spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by greenthumb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Armageddon, The Rock and the first Bad Boys are both far better than Transformers...

Apparently, the Transformers sequel was just announced...

2. No way was Armageddon better. A movie that says it's easier to teach those guys to be astronauts instead of the other way around? Come on.
    The other two, I could see how some say that, but not to me.
    The sequel doesn't surprise me at all.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Michael Bay's two biggest influences in film school:

[​IMG]

4. Mizzougrad96

I hope you're not arguing that Transformers was more "realistic" than Armageddon... ;D

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I liked the sly reference to Armageddon in Transformers. How it was so much better than Armageddon.
    The movie itself gave me a headache, the volume was turned all the way up at the theater.
    My brother, a total Transformers kid, liked the movie, would give it an B+ or A-. He would have given it higher, but he thought some of the language was too much, since the primary audience for the film will be 12 year old devotees of Shia LeBouf from his work on Disney's Even Stevens.
    I pointed out that most of the crowd at the matinee were actually early-30-somethings, who sat in small groups or by themselves.
    My 8 and 10-year-old nephews give it A++++'s.
    As for me, B- or C+. Even with the suspension of reality, it still had some plot holes, like how they got from the Hoover Dam to downtown LA in just a couple of minutes...and why exactly did the Decepticons speak in Japanese again?
    I also predict a surge in the number of people going on the Hoover Dam tour and none of them will be doing Dam tour jokes.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't think it was Japanese. I think it was their home language. The same letters that crazy grandfather kept writing and that were all over the cube.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'd give Armageddon a B-

Transformers is nothing better than a C... I am absolutely stunned at all the love it's getting...

8. Yes, that's exactly what I'm arguing.
    I can believe there was a cube before time began, but Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck as astronauts? Please...

9. It's not love so much on this end, Mizzou. The plot was weak, the characters were cheesy and the dialogue was abhorent.

But, like I said, my expectations of a big-action flick based on my favorite childhood toys were met, if not exceeded. Then again, I was sold from the moment I first read the movie was coming, and just seeing Prime and the others in a modern version on the big screen made the movie for me.

I just bought the original annimated movie off ebay, and I'm looking forward to watching it with my son.

10. Mizzougrad96

There's part of me that wonders if expectations were so low because of the director that all expectations were met or exceeded...

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Saw it Friday. Watched the cartoon in my youth, but was never a huge fan. Did like the movie, though. Nothing cerebral, just fun popcorn summer movie.

And let me be voter No. 1,340 -- Megan Fox is so incredibly hot. Pros: Looks like that, and just turned 21. Cons: Is engaged to Brian Austin Green (the 'rapper' from 90210).

Oh, and as long as we're adding Transformers clips, this from Robot Chicken:

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Armageddon is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre. Though I'd imagine Transformers would give it a run for its $$$ if I was hammered enough to see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted