1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

must-have magazines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Nov 18, 2006.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Sure, i'll give love to the Summer of Love. But not to an entire magazine's worth of love. No current top 40 lists or current reviews, etc, etc. Entire issue is 1967.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 intriguing articles in the current GQ, with Jessica Biel on the cover:

• the Biel article is a short, quirky read. She comes across as unassuming and down to Earth, the girl-next-door type with a just-one-of-the-guys personality. Adam Stein wrote it in a "hey, look at me I get to write about Biel" mode, but he pulled it off without the article seeming overly blogish. Plus, can't go wrong with those bikini shots.

• serious article on the death of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, and the "investigation" into who's responsible and accountable — the answer to both are, we may never know. But the reporter at the paper she worked at, who's leading the paper's own investigation seems to have latched onto who's responsible, yet has been scared straight from writing the tell-all story. The paper has written stories about who they think might be involved, but in Putin's Russia, journalists who pen that kind of story are apt to be killed with no government investigations. Apparently, 12 journalists have "died" since Putin took over.

What makes this article interesting is the question it spawned in my mind: this paper's reporter, who seems to know some of the answers and is willing to write stories about potential suspects, even if other media outlets grab hold of that information and run with it, seems like he isn't willing to die for his beliefs. Politkovskaya was willing to die for her cause. She was writing stories about a Chechnyan charity that, by all accounts, was shady and feeding the coffers of the Chechnyan president and his cronies.

That said, how many here who consider themselves journalists to the core of their fiber, would embrace the notion of their death and write the tell-all investigative story on the murder of a colleague? That's what I took away from the story, that this paper's reporter found out what he needed to know but is unwilling to die for that information.

Oh, and there's a cool little portion-by-portion chart on beef that could come in handy for SJ's acclaimed chefs.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I'm in the middle of reading the 1967 RS and am thoroughly enjoying it, although some of the articles aren't going to make anyone forget Steinbeck. It's amazing -- no matter how much I read about Sgt. Pepper's there's always a new factoid to pick up. This time, it was that the Fab Four, George Martin and some engineers all played a piano to make the final note of Day In The Life.

All in all, I still think RS is a solid read. Shit, it won Ellies last year; can't be that bad.

Two mags that I miss: Brill's Content, which looking back on it now seems lightyears ahead of its time, as far as Web sites holding the media's feet to the fire; and POV, just a dopey, fun read.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I miss Brill's Content, which -- agreed -- was ahead of its time, although I still don't think overt navel gazing by journalists has a long shelf life. Fundamentally, that was BC's problem.

Interesting story there. I had a subscription to BC. When it folded, I was given a subscription to Mother Jones to run out the string.

Another magazine I miss was Spy. Snarkiness and great -- and sardonic -- writing. Can't beat that combination.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree on both counts.

Mother Jones -- Ha! I remember using it a source for college papers.

Good times.

6. crustacean

crustacean Member

Texas Monthly

Its features are top notch, but its political coverage is pathetic. It's overly one-sided, tinted with red-state lenses.

Go read any "critique" by Paul Burka on Bush over the last decade, and you'll laugh at Burka's ever-inventive soft-pedaling jobs.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much representative of the rest of the Texas print media, which knows which side its bread is buttered on.

I used to subscribe, but I canceled a while back due to Burka and his editors' lack of fairness and integrity.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read a collection of stories by Gary Cartwright not long ago, most of them beyond excellent. Many of them were in Texas Monthly first.
    I need to subscribe.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whaddya mean? I think Bush is doing a heck of a job.

9. crustacean

crustacean Member

If you hate buying things that break, especially cars, I recommend Consumer Reports.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In this week's photographic Leading Off section of SI there is a poignant double-truck shot/graphic with Heisman Trophy winners doing their best to pose in the Heisman shot. The only one not standing and posing is Earl Campbell, who's sitting in a chair in nice slacks. He's staring right through the camera with a look of despair, almost. He's not wearing socks with his leather shoes, and his hock-ham ankles look wrought and mangled. Mesmerizing photo to study.

Also, the Tour de France photo is trippy with the the bikers and shadows.

Lastly, Reilly's column made me dewy-eyed with inspiration.

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I can vouch for Consumer Reports. Have a $4/month online subscription to monitor various items. Helpful site/reviews/analyses.

12. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

The Week.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. I absolutely love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted