1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wasn't aware Dave Curtis worked for a fan magazine, although he did attend Syracuse. And he also covered lacrosse briefly. He worked in York (Pa.) and at the NY Post. And yes, he has been an outstanding hire.

2. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

That's right. The NY Post. I knew he was at a NY paper.

Hey Big Dog, York has been quite a pipeline, eh?

Also, your boy Matt Pauley says what's up.

3. Where is Pauley? That kid is a piece of work, by the way.

York is indeed a pipeline, or so I've been told. Plenty of talent still exists at that other paper, talent just waiting to be rescued, pillaged or whatever expression you prefer.

4. What exactly do you think he's looking for?

Young and cheap? Effing stud on the rise? Someone to hit the ground running?

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

here's my general advice scooter, send your clips.
    it's the orlando sentinel, so i doubt they are trying to hire someone at $21,000. lynn has shown that he can go the regular route and unorthodox route in making hires. i can't speak for him but from past hires, he's looking for a talented writer/reporter. there's a chance he could go with a effin' stud who is 24, and there's a chance he could go with a person who is 35 and talented.

this doesn't necessarily apply to you scooter, but everyone: if a job interests you, send your clips and find out if you are what that paper is looking for in a hire.

6. I hear you. I sent mine in a week ago. I'm just trying to get a feel for what he's looking for if/when I get a call.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

OK, maybe i'm misreading your posts a bit. when you get a call, be yourself. don't try to look for sly answers you think an editor wants to hear. by the virtue of a call/interview, they have already taken an interest. maybe i'm simplifying it but if you're in the door, from that point, honesty, integrity, hard work, enthusiasm, genuine. good luck.

8. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to stick to that and just be me.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Did anyone on here that applied get an e-mail from Lynn?

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Nope, you're the only one. Way to go. Now you've outed yourself to the SE of a major metro. Nice work.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nope. Van McKenzie was. I'm sure Lynn would tell you.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What kind of beer would you like, sir?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.