1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor - St. Pete Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Found out tonight that St. Pete is paginated now, CCI for the past year.

2. sptzdesigner

sptzdesigner New Member

They've been on DTI for more than a year - sports was the last section to roll over to complete production through DTI last June, making the entire paper paginated.

3. zman82

zman82 Member

ughh!!! CCI I hate that shit. and yes, the times is one of the better papers around in the sunshine state.

4. Rumor has it that CCI was originally for designing Danish phone books. So it's perfect if that's the look you're going for.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

For copy editors, CCI is just fine. Pity the designers, however.

6. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

I was on the sports copy desk for a little more than a year there, ending in July of '06, and it's a great environment. PM me if I can help with questions. :)

7. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Sportsgal: What made the environment so good? Some details would be great. Maybe other sports departments could get some tips. (This is a sincere question, by the way; no sarcasm.)

Thanks.

8. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

LA: It was a combination of things, really. The desk has a lot of great chemistry and those in charge are not "above" anyone. Sure, there's daily pressure to perform, but I think you'll find that at most places, especially a large metro daily. The sports editor is a standup guy, and everyone is very eager to both help out/give progress reports as often as you ask for either. I landed there right out of college so I was in a bit over my head (understatement), but folks there were very supportive of my growth, and patient to let it happen. I haven't gotten that positive vibe from too many places.

As far as the area goes, you can't beat it. The office is right in downtown St. Pete, and with an hour for lunch (and a food connaisseur as one of your fellow copy editors), you'll get to eat amazing food on a daily basis. Sounds silly to mention this as a quality point of a newspaper, but we all know how important food is to sportsfoke. ;)

9. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

ADDENDUM (sorry I'm a bit scatterbrained, I'm sitting on the floor at the airport. Sue me.): There is also a wealth of amazing talent to draw from. Although we all shared headline/editing duties in sports across the board, every copy editor had a specialty: racing, baseball, boxing, golf, etc. I couldn't tell you the number of things I learned just by listening to these guys talk about their passions on a daily basis. It was really refreshing to me to find such a high percentage of people who actually liked what they do, and it certainly made going to work each day much easier.

10. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

That is great to hear. I think the big thing is for top management to set the right tone, and it sounds like that is the case in St. Pete.

11. stillhungry

stillhungry New Member

Anyone have an idea what the pay range might be for this job?

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Bumping in case anyone has any updates . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted