1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB thread, Act V, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Andruw Jones is down to .205 for the year, and Mario Mendoza is pissed that his name is being dragged through the mud yet again. Which begs the question: With Willie Harris hitting close to .390 and Matt Diaz hitting .340 or better, when doe AJ start riding the bench? I know they're paying him $15 million, but perhaps a week off might provide him a reset.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'll post this hear since a certain poster got the thread on this locked: I'm stunned that Lee only got five games after the throws the first punch. I've got a more logical question related to the NBA: If an NBA player throws a punch, doesn't he get at least 15 games?

3. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

He had a pretty nice pick at first with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. Saved Cordero's ass on Kelsko's sharp grounder.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That was a nice play ... but we all know he's not a solid defensive first baseman.

5. Hammer Pants

Well, since the D. Lee fight thread was locked, I'll post this here.

What would the Hawk do, Derrek? Remember what the Hawk did?

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1987/0720.html

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Though, obviously, limited sample size, Prince's fielding percentage (.990) is just a shade lower than Cecil's (.992).

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a new thread on it, by the way. Just because I hated to have a thread locked because people couldn't control their asshole reflexes.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The concept that the Royals won't be able to keep Gordon may or may not be true. Will they be able to afford Gordon, Butler, Meche, DeJesus, Teahen, Buck, Lumsden, Lubanski in five years? Of course not. But maybe the Royals spend the bucks to keep Gordon while trading guys like Butler and Teahen in five years.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

No, it only seems that way. Throwing a punch is an automatic one-game suspension in the NBA. But your larger point is correct -- if the same fight had taken place in the NBA, there would have been big-time suspensions and much wringing of hands. This fight wasn't that different from the Knicks-Nuggets brawl that cost Carmelo 15 games.

10. Hammer Pants

The D. Lee/Chris Young altercation also featured two guys with sparkling reputations, and I think that helped both of them.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Although if you look at it another way, Young really only misses one game while Lee will miss five games.

And Young could appeal the suspension til he makes a start, then drop the start after that. No harm, no foul for him there.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will set the over/under on the number of runs the Twins score for Johan Santana tonight at one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.