1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You're applying for a writing job and you don't write a cover letter.

Sure, makes sense to me.

In my office ---- which has one of the best sports sections in the country --- we chuckle at applicants who show they don't care right from the get-go.

2. I agree. I'd be reluctant to hire someone who doesn't have the confidence in his own writing and editing skills to sell him or herself in just a few short paragraphs. Plus, it would help to have a reason to even bother reading through your clips.

I always send cover letters. Nothing to kill yourself over. Just brief description of who you are and how you're qualified for the job. Have someone else read it over for typos and you're done.

3. sheos

sheos Member

Someone really tall took a dump in the middle of Florida, and out came Orlando.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Write-brained says it all .........succinctly.

5. Dignan11

Dignan11 Member

"In my office ---- which has one of the best sports sections in the country --- we chuckle at applicants who show they don't care right from the get-go."

I can see all of you, chuckling all day long as you edit copy that is superior and thrilling. Your statement here suggests that you are as arrogant as the applicant without a cover letter. "The best sports sections in the country." How friggin' lame. I'd love to see your sweet cover letter. Put it up here if you have some chuckling seeds.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe we should hatch a thread about cover letters. Until then, let's keep this focused on the opening. Thank ya kindly.

7. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

That's oddly very funny. I've been laughing for quite a few minutes now. Well Played.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Besides golf, preps, the Magic & UCF, what does the Sentinel primarily cover? Since it's Florida, I could imagine that there's ample baseball & football coverage, correct?

9. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Had the best recruiting guy I've ever read, too, with a regular column at one time.

10. boots

boots New Member

Lynn, this sounds so, so good. I know you like the youngsters. What about the old timers out here in SportsJournalists.com land?

11. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Older-timers? Youngsters? Salary talk?
    Keep sending in your stuff.
    We haven't even begun to narrow the search.
    And please stop sending cash.
    That won't help.
    Well, it might.
    Just kidding.
    Peace.

Lynn

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Care to settle the cover letter dispute?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.