1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel general assignment reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't speak for Hoppes but my thinking is usually three to five. You can always provide more upon request if he likes the first batch.

If this was back in my Florida days he would have got a packet from me, too. I always thought Orlando did very creative g.a. stories.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've said this before about this place: This is a great section with great people to work with. You'll work your ass off, but you'll be rewarded for doing so.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

In my younger days, I would have been hitchhiking my way to Orlando right about now, to suck Lynn's...

To flat-out beg for this job, is what I mean.

4. Dignan11

Dignan11 Member

I just told my wife I was thinking about applying for this gig.
    "It's a job in Florida," I said.
    "We can buy a house there," she said.
    "It's in Orlando."
    "You mean where the MAgic Kingdom is an Mickey Mouse lives?"
    My wife was not born in this country.

"Yup."
    "Let me shoot myself right now or let's get the divorce papers."

I think I'll apply and try to explain there are benefits to shooping at Publix, sweating through your panties in the summer and reading the most ridiculous crime blotter in the country.

It's a GA job with local golf. Doesn't get better than that.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Don't worry. We have plenty of folks on SJ willing to do that already.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I really wish I could apply for this job. Good luck to all your whipper snappers going for this one.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if you're looking to make a name for yourself in this business, this is one of the places you want to work...

There are better papers, but no place develops young talent better... These days, that's very rare...

8. IBIS

IBIS Guest

A lot of talented reporters have gone to Orlando then rocketed off to bigger gigs.
    Whoever gets this job will have an excellent chance to continue the tradition.
    I would guess Lynn can expect to sift through at least 150 resumes for this one.
    What a great opportunity.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

150? It will be at least twice that and possibly three times...

What's most impressive is Hoppes will probably read all of them...

10. In Orlando you don't have to worry about shooting yourself. There's a better-than-average chance someone will do that for you.

http://www.wesh.com/iteam/9573306/detail.html#

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

What I love most about this job ad is, it doesn't ask for a stupid cover letter. hate those damn things.

12. Isn't it a given that a cover letter should be included? I'm with you though, if I don't need to do it I'm not going to waste my time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.