1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEeditor, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2007/06/11/daily15.html

Anybody know any more about this. I hear their staff development person was also cut during this process.

2. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33582/

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Anything so Woody can have his own newsroom studio for ATH, which the paper did in fact customize for him. Maybe they threw in his capped teeth.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Have never been a fan of this paper, especially when I lived in Denver back in the day. I have a good friend at the RMN who told me this was coming. Imagine that, they consolidate the city's two papers into the same building and then this happens. When will the cutting stop?

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Don't mean to threadjack here, but I've always been a fan of the Boulder Camera, which takes away from the Post and RMN in that area. Has anyone heard anything in the last year or so about anything bad happening there? From far away it seems like a nice paper to work at.

6. boots

boots New Member

When the staff development person gets the axe, you know it's fucked up.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Why? They're laying off people and not hiring people. Easy job to cut if they need to cut, and with Lean Dean, they always need to cut.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer RMN over the Post, but it's sad to see them both affected by this.

9. BRoth,

Sadly, like a lot of places, the Camera has gone downhill in recent years.

They've cut the newshole for sports. They don't cover the Rockies, Avs or Nuggets anymore, and I believe they have dramatically scaled back their Broncos coverage too.

Hyper-localism.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

At least they still have U Colorado. I can imagine it's really easy to get lots of stories on local rec leagues or outdoors coverage.

I don't check out the paper online that much, but whenever I visit family there I always make sure to pick it up.

Such is the industry, I suppose.

11. Zak Brown

Zak Brown New Member

Wild Bill is right, although the quality of what we cover hasn't gone down. Just the amount of what we cover. We here at the Camera don't really cover the metro sports anymore, besides the Broncos. We still blanket CU. I took another position at the paper, and they didn't replace me, so the department also lost a sports writer in the last few months, although it wasn't that big of one. The section was honorable mention APSE this past year.

12. boots

boots New Member

I bet the guy who left the department feels reallygood that you said his departure wasn't a big one.

Draft saved Draft deleted