1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design/writing job in eastern N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stupid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

The Wilson Daily Times, a 6-days-a-week, 17K p.m. in eastern North Carolina seeks a page designer/writer for its sports department.
    The perfect applicant will be able to design pages for our sports section (5-8 pages daily, Mon-Sat) and will have the ability to write clean copy on deadline.
    Experience in Adobe InDesign CS2 is a must.
    Our outgoing desk guy worked Monday-Friday with most weekends and evenings free. However, there is an opportunity to cover the Carolina Hurricanes or Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball games (North Carolina, N.C. State and Duke) as well as East Carolina University. The Double-A Carolina Mudcats are less than 30 miles away and are another opportunity for anyone looking.
    We are looking for someone to be primarily a designer but we really want the best person we can find. Everyone in our department should be able to design a page if needed. So we can make design less of a priority for the right candidate, one who is a strong sports writer and reporter.
    Please send inquiries and resumes to Paul Durham, Assistant Sports Editor at paul@wilsontimes.com.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

My current job, leaving at the end of June, PM me for more details.

3. Precious Roy

bumping this, we are still accepting resumes, get them in

4. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Where you headed, Roy?

5. Precious Roy

Going home, you want to come back?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Been through this town once. Wondering how high the suicide rate is. On the other hand, I was going home the back way from an ECU game a couple of weeks after Floyd, and my main route (17) was shut down, so I had to make a backasswards detour to pick up 95. Assumably there's more to Wilson than what I saw, which was blade-to-jugular inducing.

Almost had a job here a few years ago. Probably not paying enough for me now. But I do miss the daily grind.

7. jnyce

jnyce New Member

Does the lack of response to this job thread mean Wilson's paper sucks? Also, why is the DAILY Times a six days a week publication?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because it's still a family-owned publication ... Mon.-Fri. PM and Sat. AM. No desk work on weekends.

9. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

It doesn't suck. It's a pretty small town, but the high school sports are outstanding compared to some similar Eastern N.C. cities (Kinston, Clayton, Washington, Rocky Mount, etc.). The editor, Tom Ham, has been around the block a few times. I would say this opportunity would be best suited for a recent grad, or someone with roots near the area, although I'm not sure what they are targeting. I lived in Greenville when I worked there. The drive wasn't too bad (35 minutes), if you need to have more nightlife around you.

The city certainly is growing. It's not as backwoods as it looks from the Interstate.

10. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

Is InDesign an absolute necessity? I'm more of a quark man, myself.

11. Precious Roy

InDesign is a necessity, that's all we are using. It's not a hard system to learn, but we want somebody that can come in and jump on pages as soon as they are hired.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

InDesign is a piece of cake to pick up if you use the quark keys shortcut. On Wilson: There are worse places to put down in ENC. It's not a thrill a minute, but it smells better than Roanoke Rapids.

Draft saved Draft deleted