1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawrence Journal-World sports opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott_Tittrington, Jun 8, 2007.

1. So what is the job description for the position you are leaving open at the LJ-W?

2. Scott_Tittrington

Scott_Tittrington New Member

In a nutshell, sports copy editor. I work on the sports desk five nights per week.

My actual title is high school sports coordinator, but the way the setup is here, I don't get to do much coordinating. I fill in the gaps here and there on high school coverage, am responsible for setting up content for our weekly Preps page, and moderate our weekly high school sports podcast.

In the last nine months, I've maybe had 10 bylines. So anyone thinking this is going to be a writing-heavy position, think again.

3. Are you saying this is mostly a design/pagenation job?

4. Scott_Tittrington

Yes it is. In a given week, I run the sports desk two nights per week, and help on the sports desk the remaining three shifts. Typically, I'm responsible for between 2-4 pages on each of those nights, and by responsible I mean design, pagination, copy editing, the works.

5. Hardly the kind of gig that interests me or many others on here!

6. Scott_Tittrington

For what this job pays, it should interest A LOT of people on here. I'd venture to say there is not a better-paying 20,000 circ. paper in the country than this one, especially for its desk people.

7. Well that's a good paper then. Glad there are a few left that take care of their people.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes he does. I've been at papers that talked about it, but no one's come close to what Lawrence has done.

Scott, congrats on the new job. Two years ago, I would have applied for this job in a heartbeat, but my situation has changed. A great paper for whoever wants this position, for sure.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ah, Scott, you've come a long way since Pretzel Town. Congrats.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

This has to be like a dream gig for you Scott. Going from the desk of a 20,000 circ., to the SE of a 55,000 circ. Congrats!

11. That is quite a jump.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Why does circulation = quality?

I would bet that the Lawrence paper is every bit as good -- and probably better -- than most 55K papers. And judging by comments, they pay just as well, too.

It's a good promotion. But not necessarily a better paper. I'm not too familiar with either paper other than what I hear about Lawrence, so it's just speculation. But still.

Draft saved Draft deleted