1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawrence Journal-World sports opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott_Tittrington, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Scott_Tittrington

Scott_Tittrington New Member

I'm a regular poster here under a different name, but since this job is coming open and I'm the one leaving it, I'm shedding the cloak of anonymity for it.

There likely won't be any ads posted for it, but the Lawrence Journal-World will be hiring to fill my position on its sports desk. The LJW is a 20,000 daily in Lawrence, Kan., and the big focus, as should be expected, is on KU basketball, KU football and high schools. My final day is Thursday, June 14, and I know they have posted this internally (in addition to the LJW, our parent company owns a lot of weeklies in the KC area and often hires from these papers). However, they hired me away from a newspaper in California, and hired their new sports editor at the same time two years ago from New York. So they will certainly look at outside candidates.

The LJW is a great paper that pays well. If you want any specific details, just ask on here or PM me and I'll give you the lowdown.

Scott

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

where ya going to Scott?

3. Scott_Tittrington

I will be moving on to the sports editor position at the Pensacola News Journal in Pensacola, Fla.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Congrats Scott. The LJ-W is a paper that, in a lot of ways, is ahead of most newspapers as far as utilizing the internet and other various media products. This is a pretty good job for somebody.

5. Scott_Tittrington

SCEditor knows of what he speaks.

The buzzword here is "convergence". It doesn't affect those on the desk as much as writers. However, my duties included the title of high school sports coordinator, which meant doing a HS sports podcast once a week during the school year.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

At one of my previous shops, the managing editor met with somebody from the LJ-W about how they run their Web site, etc... Check out their Web site, including their sports stuff. It's really quite incredible that a newspaper that size is producing what they're producing.

I don't know much about the paper, bosses or pay. But I'm sure a few years at the paper could set you on a pretty nice career path. I'm sure you'll learn a lot about the future of newspapers and then be able to apply it to your next job.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

What happened to George Moore in Pensacola?

8. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

I believe he's still there as a columnist

9. George is moving into a columnist/takeout role.

10. Scott_Tittrington

What the previous two said.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Question then. Since George is moving into a columnist role, and you're the new SE, is there still an ASE opening down there?

12. Scott_Tittrington

From what I've been told, no, not right now.

They were looking to fill two openings, and while some of the faces are in new places, that's still the idea. I was told during my interview that they were close on hiring a reporter for the general assignment spot, and truth be told, I've been so busy getting my own house in order (figuratively and literally) and finishing off my stint here, I don't know where things now stand on that. For all I know, they may be waiting until I start to allow me some say in that.

Should that happen, it would be as if the staff gained an extra writer, but at the expense of an ASE for right now. That's how I understand it. Perhaps once I am on board, that will change and I'll be allowed to bring an ASE aboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted