1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe wants Jerry West to return as Lakers GM or he wants out of L.A.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 28, 2007.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Kobe has already backtracked ... again. Apparently he told Dan Patrick on radio this afternoon that he's happy and wants to be a Laker for life. Maybe tomorrow he'll spout off again, but right now he's being a little soldier.

What the....?? What a friggin prima dona. The only person in LA who craves more attention and seems as confused and out of sorts is Lindsey Lohan. Look at me!! Listen to Me!! Forget that the playoffs are on and I'm not there. I demand you're attention!!

And, no one mentioned anywhere that I've seen through all of this that many of the NBA players don't want to play with Mr. Selfish.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Once again, Kobe is full of shit. An unnamed source says what everyone has been saying for years, and suddenly it makes him want out of LA? Bullshit. He doesn't want to waste his prime years fighting for the 8th seed in the playoffs, so he either wants out, or he wants West to come back and wave his magic wand. An anonymous quote in a story doesn't make somebody demand a trade unless he's unbelievably immature -- which, come to think of it, Kobe is.

And for the last time, Shaq's demands and Buss's decision to trade him didn't happen in a vacuum. It was all an outgrowth of the animosity between Kobe and Shaq. Both of them are equally responsible for the end of what could have been a dynasty, because they were both too egotistical to co-exist with the other. They both created the situation that ended up forcing Shaq out. If Kobe thinks he played no part in Shaq's trade, he's delusional.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Do you think Kobe just likes to be in the news? And given that the slaughter appears to be on in San Antonio -- the NBA is all too happy to have one of its biggest stars spouting off and keeping the league in headlines

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Yeah, I am sure they are happy about a super star acting like a 4 year old stealing the spot light from a 22 year old super star in a tough series.

5. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Jason Kidd (was reportedly excited about playing with Kobe but the Buss' didn't wanna trade Bynum) ... Jermaine O'Neal (is trying to come to the Lakers because he is tight with Kobe) ... Carlos Boozer (reportedly was trying to force the Jazz to trade him to L.A. last offseason) ... Ron Artest (attended several Laker games and wanted to come to L.A., but the Lakers didn't want him) ... and, reportedly, Kevin Garnett (privately has told people he'd accept a deal to the Lakers if he were to leave Minnesota).

No, I don't have links to PROVE this, I just go by what I hear from the NBA people I read or work with. But I love how people talk out of their ass with nothing to back it up. What NBA player has stated they DON'T want to play in L.A. with Kobe?

6. zagoshe

There is something to be said for that -- but it is an off day in that series and this series, well, they'll want this game off the front page as quickly as possible. And anything that generates a buzz is good.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't you dare cite actual reporting on this thread. This is for emotional ranting, and people who already hate Kobe. We thank you.

8. zagoshe

The problem Kobe has is probably two-fold.

One, if the Lakers were to trade for someone big, they'd probably have to weaken the current surrounding cast in order to pull it off so while they'd gain a second superstar, they might lose two or even three role players but the second part of that equation is this -- any team who trades for him will likely have to give away its best players and thus, he might not be in a better situation anyway.

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Don't think you're foolin me, Norrin Radd ... I know who you are. ;)

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I'm still not exactly sure what happened on the multiple radio programs today that Kobe graced, but I don't think it's going to end up helping Kobe's PR much. The only thing missing now is a guy walking around with an umbrella to cover His Kobe-ness when he gets outside. What is he thinking?

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't know if you're including me as an emotional ranter, but I've got nothing against Kobe. I just object to his trying to re-write history and paint himself as some sort of victim.

12. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

No, you're just choosing to ignore what Bryant, the NBA writers and even Shaquille O'Neal himself have said regarding this situation. After all, you know better than they do. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted