1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JaRoy Hobbs, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Jelenic has certainly mellowed. For one thing he "mellowed" a lot after Lee left the area (or his venom was directed more toward New Haven rather than Trenton). We theorized that it was Lee pointing out to his dad stuff like the runs column in the WWP-Steinert boxscore didn't add up.

However, as he "mellowed," he put more yes-men and incompetent boobs in place to obey his commands. Sandy Schwartz would absorb quite a bit of the Jelenic tirades and Mike Raffaele would deflect some of his anger. When they left there was no barrier any longer. So you basically had unfiltered Jelenic going straight from his mouth to the copy desk at 9 a.m. every morning.

2. just can't wait until Ozzy Osbourne and his mentor, Aaron Bracy, get canned when the first mistake in a boxscore is made! Osbourne will be high-tailing it back to north carolina, or south bumblefuck - whatever! - with his precious family in tow. hope he gets the axe within the first six months.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Well he's done nothing wrong so far and itt's a bit premature to judge him. Why don't you save your venom for someone who truly deserves it, like Bracy or DiRienzo.

4. boots

boots New Member

Leave Bracy alone. The kid is doing the best he can in a very fucked up situation. He's damned if he does. He's damned if he doesn't. He can't win.
    I'd like to know what you would do differently if put in the same situation. Probably, just like me, nothing.

5. I would have come into the department and tried to convey to the people working for me that I was on their side, that I would try to make the department a better place to work. But what did Bracy do? First couple of weeks told people they were doing lousy jobs, that the television was too loud, that people were talking too much, etc. Not quite the way I would have chosen to rally the troops. But you can't blame him ... he had zero supervisory experience, possesses zero people skills, and is focused on one thing, and one thing only ... Aaron Bracy.

I say the department should draw swords and make the bastard walk the plank. ;D

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm sure instead of bitching, someone should've taken Aaron aside and talked to him as a human being instead of a supervisor. That might have made a difference.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had I taken the job ahead of Bracy, I would've made office morale the No. 1 priority. You start with the troops, and then you attack the battle. Not that hard of a concept.

8. JRC BOD

JRC BOD New Member

Have you ever heard of attrition? There are no new openings at the Trentonian. Unless you're willing to lowball Jose from Meico City's offer.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Boots, you're a fucking idiot.

10. boots

boots New Member

Yet you haven't come up with anything you would do differently. I think you are the idiot my friend. If all you can do is bring an insult, then why bother to post? If you don't like the paper, fine. I just asked what would you do differently. I didn't ask for the remark.

11. aeroking

aeroking Member

Boots, welcome to this thread. Everyone's a critic. Yet so few have offered real suggestions. PHINJ has had his chance as SE and did nothing. He should be happy he landed where he is and keep his mouth shut and be happy. Raffaele writes a book and everyone treats it like gospel. Where did it get him? He's running some shit weekly paper that takes pride in running 28 pages of police blotter, with "thug" and "goon" in every lede. If I could dig it up, I would, but it's some tabloid in the sticks of PA. Pretty sure a recent front page story went something like "Goons smash windows on tranquil street." Wonderful journalism.
    The Trentonian is what it is. What compels so many alums to cling to it, to bash the living shit out of someone who took a chance on the position (who cares if he fails, the past 24 certainly didn't turn the thing into anything but 'the paper with the page 6 girl'). What a weird fucking obsession.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Boots, we've gone over this about a dozen times already. It's not my fault you lack reading comprehension skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.