1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 19, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Agreed

2. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I know I shouldn't get into a debate I'm not following, but I do have to say that McHale was a great player. Just ask Barkley. Barkley will insist that McHale was the toughest guy for him to guard and that his footwork was the best he ever saw from a post player. And he played stout D. I couldn't stand the guy, but he was great.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You're right about Isiah. He's not a terrible head coach. But man does Mike Brown suck. Time after time, I've seen this fraud make dumb decision after dumb decision. He's not a leader and in time, LBJ will stop giving him respect. Just imagine if LBJ got the chance to play for a real coach. It dosn't have to be a hall of fame coach(although that's what all great players need. wade,bryant. jordan, magic. they all needed great coaches).
    Maybe Stan Van Gundy?

4. Chuck~Taylor

These NBA on TNT guys(Kenny,Chuck,Magic) are cracking me up. ;D

5. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Van Gundy is a darn good coach. Why did he turn down the Indy job? Does he know O'Neil is gone? I'd love to see VG coach LBJ.

CT, you see a lot more of the Cavs than I do, so I have to defer here. But they are improving, and they are making that steady progression each year. And this series isn't over yet. But many people think Brown is not good. How does he rank with somebody like a, say, Avery Johnson? Both young coaches.

6. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Although Varejao has a history of flopping sometimes, as astutely pointed out by the announcers.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

True, but I didn't think there was too much to question about that one.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Avery Johnson? Hell I'd take that Iavaroni(he's gonna be a great coach) guy from Phoenix over Mike Brown. Brown is a fraud. He's a really good guy, but he's not a leader.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Thats true that Varejao is know to be a flopper but that was pretty blatant. The Cavs should continue to run the court and stop trying to play the post up game because they don't have one. Drew Gooden. Andy Varejao and Illgauskas are all players who are much better in space. Lebron is going to go for 40 at the Q next game.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'll admit I'm not much of an NBA fan. But I watch the last "play" the Cavaliers tried at the end and wonder what the hell "the play" was? It was nothing more than LeBron penetrates and tries to create something. Kind of like the play in Game 1. Brilliant stuff.

11. Chuck~Taylor

I just don't know how Larry Hughes missed that wide open 8 footer.

Mr Hughes: You're in the NBA. You are a professional. How in the hell did you miss that?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hall of famers, in the easiest hall of fame to get into in American Sports. They rode Birds coattails in. If you think they'd get past the scrutiny the baseball hall of fame and football hall of fame puts its candidates under, you're kidding.

Again, I have come up with facts and ficgures to show how overrated McHale and Parish are currently, and all you've said is they're in the hall of fame and on the top 50 players.

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker will both probably end up as Hall of Famers, since they like McHale and Parish are associated with the success of this Spurs team. I've already put up Moses Malone, Charles Barkley and Karl Malone as three PF's who were better than McHale in that era and I can easily find others. You can say Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and others when it comes to centers who were better than Parish.

You want other players from the era? How about Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins, Mark Aguirre, Kiki Vaderweghe, Isiah Thomas, David Robinson, Chris Mullen, Dan Issel or a past-his-prime Julius Erving.

McHale and Parish were not better players than anyone I've mentioned in this post. The Lakers had five titles to the Celtics three in the 80's, with a better team and a better starting five.

Draft saved Draft deleted