1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columnists Worth Reading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. cfinder

cfinder Member

to continue in the Online division:
    Pat Forde, who was well worth the time to read in Louisville, may well have come close to mastering the craft on the Internet (there is no space problem in cyberspace).
    if you have ESPN Insider, go back and read his deadline column/account of the Boise State victory in the Fiesta Bowl.
    it was such a joy to read, i was not only moved to write him a DangYouThatWasIncredible email between flights at an airport where i first got to see it, but i forced my sports-writing college class to read it as well.
    p.s. you could say he also wrote the book on column-writing, or at least the chapter. with Dave Kindred quotes. in a college text by Abraham Aamidor.

3. boots

boots New Member

Give me the two R's - Ray McNulty and Rob Parker!!!

4. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Cummings is pretty good. I wouldn't say excellent, but he can be a good read.
    I like your other picks, Hill and Podnanski.

I'd add Canzano from the Oregonian and Thomas Boswell from the Post. And throw in Tom Verducci although he's not really a columnist.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

vaccaro. he's sooo much better than that rag he works for it's not even funny. :eek: 8) :eek:

6. JerseyBurning

JerseyBurning New Member

When has Stephenson ever written any columns?

7. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

Re: ESPN and SI online columnists...I think Stewart Mandel does a pretty good job throughout the college football season and Grant Wahl is solid on his soccer coverage. ESPN has pretty much no one worth reading anymore. Thanks for the complete lack of emotion and passion in every story, column or feature you do 'Worldwide Leader'.

8. boots

boots New Member

And I'll repeat my earlier post. Just give me the two R's - Ray McNulty and Rob Parker!!!

9. Politi has never written a column, but apparently it did not stop the paper from hiring him as a columnist.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

To set the record straight, Steve Politi was hired as a feature writer and did that, also filling in on a few different beats, for two years, maybe three, I'm not sure, before the Ledger gave him the chance to do a column. I think he has done a good job. He's young and he's going to grow into an outstanding columnist, in my humble opinion.

11. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

No he's not under-rated. Geoff is hugely popular with the residents of SportsJournalists.com nation.

12. sheos

sheos Member

I know this an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it, and one of the most underrated columnists around is Dave George of the Palm Beach Post. I'm always reading the South Florida papers on the web, and his stuff is comparable if not better than Lebatard or Hyde or any of those guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted