1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting plagiarism case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, May 3, 2007.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Re: Interesting plagarism case

Uh-oh ... we've got another one ...

Prep boys soccer: Lafayette beats rival Bruton, 4-1
    21 Apr 07, 03:00 ET
    By Bryan L. Fuell. WILLIAMSBURG — Coaching can take a team only so far. A team needs talent to separate itself from mediocrity. ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/18/AR2007041802911.html

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Interesting plagarism case

I have to say the opening of that letter would work on the best first sentence thread quite well.

absolutely breathtaking in its egregiousness

That's good work right there.

3. Seems to me this guy worked harder to plagiarize others' stories than to just write the damn thing himself. Seriously, how hard is it to write a lead for a soccer game?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. That's so true, you can picture a guy poring over a story finding just the right words to change or omit (and in this case, wow what a lousy job), when he could have just dug in and suffered through it himself. If I had a buck for every bad prep soccer story I wrote I'd be living large, but dadgummit it was my bad soccer story.

5. Moderator1

So bad he didn't even consider stealing from you!!

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Damn the interweb. How I long for the days when you could steal from a tiny little out-of-the-way publication like the ... Washington Post ... and get away with it.

7. Pops

Pops Member

Slightly less blatant. But let's remember ... it's a high school newspaper.

http://cache.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/?archive_id=0&page_id=1881204552&page_url=%2f%2fwww.vagazette.com%2fnews%2fva-news4_021007feb10%2c0%2c2923472.story%3fcoll%3dva-news&page_last_updated=2%2f11%2f2007+3%3a11%3a43+AM

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:K6aTTeKMV4MJ:www.wjcc.k12.va.us/content/pressrelease/PR-school-jamestown/newsitem/020607-Determination%2520_Joey%2520Daugherty_.pdf+Joey+Daugherty+eagle+eye&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On last night's Jeopardy! College Championship, the final category was Word Origins and the answer was something like "this word, meaning an action that can cause you to fail a class, comes from the Latin word meaning 'kidnap' ". Yep, the correct question was "What is plagiarism?"

All three contestants got it wrong, and badly at that. Their guesses were skip, hookie and cheat.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While it is from the academic world and barclay plagiarism is bad, that letter strike anyone else as high-handed?

10. Moderator1

No. It struck me as a very well deserved bitch-slapping.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK... I just thought their specific demands -- and the way they were phrased -- were pretty harsh,

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Here is an example of why people are still trying to get away with crap like this: At the first paper I worked for the Editor (no, not just a lowly writer) was busted for plagiarism. I was the person who discovered it and brought it to the publisher's and general manager's attention.

Their response: "Well, that's strike two for him."

Apparently, that was the second time he had been caught. Needless to say I was not at that place much longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted