1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most over-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, May 1, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

On leaving the "Axl and a bunch of schleps" concert at the Universal amp last december (which kicked ass), I told my wife, "Their new songs sound really good. We'll have to pick up that new album when it comes out in 2010" . . . . .

As for the original incarnation: Guns had a Zeppelin-like tendency and ability to move between genres. Two thirds of the songs on the Use your illusions are quite good, with half of those being excellent. The rest is a lot of chaff, but they put out some great music in their day. They put on a great live show too; blew Metallica off the stage at the Rose Bowl in '92. Nothing overrated about them.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Guns N Roses to me is sort of like Eric Davis --- very, very high potential, a couple of incredible years and clearly had a chance to be an all-timer, but career was derailed before it really got a chance to get rolling.

In other words, at one point both Eric Davis and Guns N Roses were at the top of their professions, but their stay their was far too short and both left you with that "should have been so much more" feeling.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely should have been more . . . . .

But what was there did not suck.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Despite my neverending love of the Beatles, can I put John Lennon, solo, on here?

If not, then Talking Heads.

PS: As the World's Biggest Pearl Jam fan, thanks to all but four or five of you for not putting them on here. I like people liking them.

5. Steve Hackett

Steve Hackett Member

Agree, not overrated.

Vastly overrated: The Doors, Counting Crows

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw Buffett's name earlier. What about him? Like the Dead and Phish he's more renowned for his lifestyle and his live shows (and I will admit to being a huge fan of his books) but his records may have a hit single or two but that's about it. His 4-cd box set would have been better at half that size.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think they are great, but isn't Led Zepplin's name taken from a music critic's review?

"This bad will go over like a lead zepplin." or something to that effect.

I guess they were wrong.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe it was Keith Moon who said that.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is VH1's top 100 hard rock acts of all time....

20 Alice Cooper
    19 The Clash
    18 Ozzy Osbourne
    17 The Ramones
    16 Cream
    15 Pink Floyd
    14 Soundgarden
    13 Queen
    12 The Sex Pistols
    11 Aerosmith
    10 Kiss
    9 Guns N' Roses
    8 The Who
    7 Van Halen
    6 Nirvana
    5 Metallica
    4 AC/DC
    3 Jimi Hendrix
    2 Black Sabbath
    1 Led Zeppelin

I'd say based on that list -- Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, The Who, The Sex Pistols, Soundgarden and The Clash are terribly over rated, particularly Soundgarden, who I might not put in the top 50, much less 20.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It was John Entwistle when there was talk of Page joining up with Moon and Entwistle and some guy I can't remember as the singer.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Wasn't Winwood going to be involved with Zeppelin at some point?

12. Doors + Talking Heads i would agree are most overrated bands ever

Hackett, I would also say Daryl Steurmer is the most underrated Genesis guitarist ever! as much as I love hackett, steurmer did things Hackett couldn't dream of.

Draft saved Draft deleted