1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Saint Lou, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What's the saying? Nothing good ever happens after 1 a.m.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Now that my post has been deleted, F_B, this seems out of place. Do with it what you will.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I can't make anything out of that tape, but clearly it wasn't a dark, isolated stretch of highway.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If it turns out that he was drunk, I wonder if MADD will lobby for the team to take the patch with his number off the jersey?

5. boots

boots New Member

It doesn't take this long for toxicology reports on whether he was drunk or not to be released.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

It does if the authorities aren't releasing them

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Must be fun to see what you want to see, and to have the capacity to create a vivid, 3D image from a blurry, small, dim image on the internet. Pube, you have no fucking idea what happened, so shut up.

8. boots

boots New Member

Which leads me to believe that drinking is involved. If no alcohol or drugs, those findings are released pronto.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Another strange twist in this story....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2854743

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely that authorities will release anything before Thursday's funeral.

11. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Hancock wanted to drive his vehicle home from the Sauget police station but could not because the accident damaged its radiator. While waiting for a cab that eventually took him home, Delaney said, Hancock told another officer he hated following a Cardinals night game with a daytime one, and that he routinely drove around to make himself tired enough to rest, the chief said.

"He said how he hated -- he used that word -- to play day games after a night game, that he had trouble sleeping and was out driving around," Delaney said.

Hours later, Hancock showed up late at Busch Stadium for the Cardinals' day game against the Cincinnati Reds and insisted he thought the game time was later and had overslept in a new bed.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on Monday, however, that a couple in a bar on the night Hancock died overheard the pitcher telling an ESPN radio personality that he "had spent all night drinking," and that's why he was late for the Thursday game.

Baseball analyst Dave Campbell said that Hancock did not say anything like that, but the player did introduce himself that evening at Mike Shannon's Restaurant and Bar and the two talked baseball.

Way to go SPD.

12. boots

boots New Member

I wouldn't bet on that. Too many unanswered questions. Besides, it doesn't take a week for those reports to come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.