1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons - Guesses on a Monday ESPN.com Page 2 blog/column/running diary?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, Apr 30, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

There were 3 different things going on from Friday through Sunday - all positive things from Simmons' point of view - which make me feel that we're going to be getting a blog/running diary/column from William tomorrow (Monday 4.30.07):

1) NBA Playoffs (particularly: a) the Heat getting swept - Bill picked the Bulls in 5
    and b) some commentary on how soft Dirk and the Mavs are, likely including a
    shot at Mark Cuban)

2) The Pats had a solid draft, highlighted by the acquisition of Randy Moss in a trade
    for a 4th round pick

3) The Sox took 2/3 from the Yanks

Does anyone really think we're not going to get an installment from Simmons tomorrow?

If he felt ambitious, I'm thinking a running diary of one of the past few days - including all 3 events, switching back and forth between channels, etc. If he wasn't feeling particularly garrulous, perhaps just a blog entry with what he feels are the more salient points from the weekend.

At his core, Simmons is a blogger: He writes about what he watches, what is relevant to him. His interests often coincide with a larger audience (e.g., Yanks-Sox), but they sometimes, painfully, do not (Celtics).

When a potential blog subject does not fit in with Simmons' weekly viewing habits (e.g., his choosing a Premier League soccer team to root for), he simply moves on. Bloggers chronicle what they do and what they watch; what falls outside of that sphere is not a possible subject of their writings.

Similar to most who write about sports, Simmons will almost certainly be looking to proclaim the accuracy of his Heat-Bulls prediction, particularly in light of some of his more loudly-proclaimed incorrect predictions from last year's NBA postseason (Lakers-Suns, Mavs-Heat). Bill has to sustain his 'One of 19' membership.

As last Monday reiterated, Simmons rarely, if ever, misses an opportunity to trumpet a Sox series win over the Yanks. Throw in the Moss acquisition, and I'm feeling the chances of Bill writing a piece gracing Page 2 tomorrow is about 95%+.

Your thoughts? Guesses on blog vs. running diary, etc.?

Simmons - once the voice of the (Boston) fan, is now the guy who can't be bothered to actually attend the Super Bowl.

But you can be fairly certain he'll be able to get motivated to write about the Pats, Sox, and his correct NBA prognostication(s).

Sad. But, unfortunately, not unpredictable.

EDIT: I moved this after reading a post from Evil Bastard. He was right, this belongs in 'Anything Goes' and not 'Journalism.'

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I'm thinking he might combine all three--he's blogged about an entire weekend before, so it wouldn't be a ridiculous premise. But if I have to choose one, I'm going with the NFL Draft. He's got plenty of material--he'll have phone calls from his Dad making fun of the suits the guys are wearing, the ongoing Brady Quinn saga (with the Sports Gal wandering through making a catty remark about Quinn's girlfriend), bitching about the Brandon Meriweather pick and wrapping it all up with Randy Moss.

And I will not argue about this/light myself on fire, etc. etc.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I will guarantee this about Simmons' Monday column:

I will read it; about 80% of the people who "hate" him 'round these parts will do the same. Then someone will start a thread bashing him, only increasing the hits on his counter, and earning him more money, and in turn making him more hated.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T FUCKING READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'll say this about Simmons. Some of his stuff I really enjoy. Some of it is unreadable.

I can do without the Gibraltar-sized chip on the shoulder. I hate that, when people who achieve success act like they hate it. Knew a writer who had one of the cushiest gigs for a decent-sized SoCal paper and had the worst attitude I've ever seen. Everything sucked: his beat (golf/GA), the athletes, the events -- everything.

Pisses me off no end.

Dude, you made it, reaching a point where 99% of folks in this business will never tread. Relax and enjoy it.

Here, however, is a story I enjoyed. That it involved David Halberstam probably had something to do with that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070427

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Hey Billy-boy:

[​IMG]

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good call, CC. :)

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not going to waste my time wondering what Simmons is going to write. I would rather just read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted