1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Halberstam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Apr 23, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well said.

2. JG-Mac
    In honor of your great catch on "epithet," I humbly return the favor:

[​IMG]

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I, and the other creatures of the northern fjords, our eyes as blue and cold as ice, thank you.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I loved The Teammates. ESPN did a show about it, with interviews. I only caught the last 10 minutes or so and was very moved.

I am still so damn sad about this. I'm very glad to hear about his Korean War book. I've been looking for a definitive book about it and I look forward to this one.

Jonathan Yardley, who was friends with David Halberstam for 45 years, did a chat on washingtonpost.com about him today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/04/24/DI2007042400682.html

5. crustacean

crustacean Member

Here's a toast to what David Halberstam gave to this world.

In "Summer of 49", he recounted how he, as a kid, would compulsively bounce a rubber ball against the wall and catch it as he was listening to a game, convinced that if he missed, he would jinx his team.

That's about as much as he and I had in common.

What a great talent.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A friend says the area where the crash happened is notoriously dangerous.

When I saw the news last night, I was like, "Damn, he seemed like one of those guys who NEVER would die."

RIP.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - One of my favorite writers. Loved Best and the Brightest and Breaks of the Game. Summer of 49 also a fav.

Sometimes life is full of irony and mystery . Halberstam wearing a seatbelt in one of safest cars around - a camry dies and Jon Corzine going 90 MPH with no seat belt in unsafe truck makes it through.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

http://www.sunherald.com/228/story/38384.html

Good column on Halberstam.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was visiting family over the extended weekend and saw the headline while checking email at my mom's house yesterday. The thought that someone of Halberstam's stature and reputation can have his life cut short by, of all things, a car accident, is mindblowing and devastating.
    Eight years ago this spring, I was working my first job out of college, and went to the library to check out a book to read for lunch. I picked up "Summer of '49" because every baseball fan loved it. From the first page to the last page, I was wrapped up in the battles between the Sawx and the Yankees, DiMaggio and Teddy Ballgame, and the era leading into the 50's.

Several weeks later, I picked up "October 1964". From this day I checked the book out from the library, "October" is my favorite sports book of all time for numerous reasons: the end of the Yankees Dynasty at that time, Bob Gibson, the Cardinals sending Lou Broglio to the Cubs for Lou Brock, and the dynamics of the civil rights period when the Cardinals had Brock, Gibby, Bill White and the Yankees had only one African-American on the team. I learned more about that "crazy god-damned" Mike Shannon, Boyer, and how the Redbirds took down the Yankees in the World Series.

What is so amazing is that I haven't read those books since 1998 when I first read them. They were so good to read, I felt it would be bad to re-read them. I came to appreciate how powerful the written word can be to so many through Halberstam.

But a car accident, of all things, ended a life that all of us didn't expect to end so soon. So quickly.

God speed Mr. Halberstam. The big guy upstairs would love to hear you tell another story again.

10. AP story just moved interviewing the driver of the car Halberstam was in.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Here's the story (I was cleaning it up as Omar posted).

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tuesday's Globe and Mail:

From a speech by David Halberstam to the Columbia School of Journalism in 2005:

"One of the things I learned, the easiest of lessons, was that the better you do your job, often going against conventional mores, the less popular you are likely to be. So, if you seek popularity, this is probably not the profession for you. … There are a few things I would like to pass on to you as I come near to the end of my career. One: It's not about fame. By and large, the more famous you are, the less of a journalist you are. Besides, fame does not last. At its best, it is about being paid to learn."

Draft saved Draft deleted