1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Former Teammates or a Good Story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mayfly, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Here's a problem I am faced with.

Recently, two of my former track teammates were arrested and thrown in jail for stealing five bikes worth $5,000 each. I only learned about this yesterday, when it made the local news. At my former school, there were numerous incidents involving athletes and the law (what else is new?).

My journalistic side wants to write a story about this situation and how it further degrades the once great athletic program. The other side of me wants to just let it go. Thoughts on the situation?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're a professional. Write the story.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

True. Any other thoughts just about situations that may involve friends or those that you know?

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Conflict of interest. The story should be written, but not by you.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

In certain instances, you should hand the story off to someone else due to potential conflict of interest. But in this case, it sounds like if you don't write it, no one will.

6. Pops

Pops Member

If you would write this story about two strangers, you (or someone) should write it. But ask yourself whether you're debating this story for its merits or just letting it stick in your mind because you know the guys. Don't selectively pull punches.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The key is "how it further degrades the once great athletic program."
    That says you aren't going to be objective; you have a plan in mind.
    Hand it off to someone else for a news story; if you want to write a column -- hence, opinion piece -- then you can wax nostalgic about the once great program all you want.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Absolutely. See if someone else can do the story.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bingo...

Draft saved Draft deleted