1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter - Mitchell, South Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ForSaleByOwner, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Position: Sportswriter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 25, 2007
    Job ID: 768408

Description:
    The Mitchell Daily Republic, a mid-size daily newspaper in Mitchell, S.D., has an opening for a full-time sportswriter. Our three-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on the more than 40 local high schools in our coverage area and Dakota Wesleyan University athletics, which is an NAIA Division II school. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and the ability to lay out pages using Quark Xpress. The position is perfect for college graduates looking to get their feet wet. The six-day-a-week, Forum Communications-owned newspaper offers medical, dental, 401K and vision packages. Send a resume, cover letter and at least five work samples to Sports Editor Andy Rennecke, Mitchell Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler, P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301. You can also e-mail resumes, cover letters and work samples to aren-necke@daily.mitchellrepublic.com.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

40 high schools AND layout AND three FTEs?

puh-lease.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

What a wonderful opprotunity to freeze your ass off in the winter. Love those sub-zero temperatures.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They probably take phoners of the box-score only on almost all of the little-school games, and that's about it. We did this at a place I worked once, which had a large, rural circulation range.

You'll cover the Mitchell Kernels, who play in the Corn Palace. NBA player Mike Miller is from Mitchell.

5. Pops

Pops Member

Who left? Rennecke?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

how big is a mid-sized daily?

7. Pops

Pops Member

In this case, about 12K -- which technically puts it almost directly on the median among all 1,400 dailies nationwide. However, I'm not sure I'd attach "mid-sized" as a circulation adjective to anything smaller than 25K.

Also, I'll bash myself on this one. Rennecke's name is in the posting, so he's not the one. D'oh.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I thought Rennecke was a one-man shop here, with the exception of a part-time layout person...

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Folks.. you're forgetting the best part about being in Mitchell

[​IMG]

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Thief!!!!!!!!!!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member