1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writers (freelance), Los Angeles, ÇA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 19, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Sports freelance reporters
    The Los Angeles Daily News is seeking energetic freelance sports writers. The ideal candidates must have excellent reporting/writing skills and experience filing stories on deadline. Our focus centers on high school and community sports and knowledge of local teams is a plus. Freelancers will produce regular game coverage, notebooks, features, trend pieces and enterprise stories. E-mail cover letter, resume and 6-8 work samples to vincent.bonsignore@dailynews.com.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Do they even have a sports editor after, what, eight months? Guessing this won't pay anything.

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

I did some work for them during the football season covering high schools. Starts at $40 a game. They didn't pay me for one of the three I did after numerous phone calls telling them otherwise.

On the bright side, all they were looking for is up to 200 words with mostly stats from the game. For $40 and a couple hours of your time (if you have it/want to see some decent HS football) you could do worse, I guess.

4. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Hey BRoth,

What about these features/enterprise/trend stories? Did you get to do any of that?

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

No, I didn't do anything other than gamers, so take what I said with a grain of salt. It might be a good coverage area for features, as there's plenty of football talent around. I was right outside of Burbank and covered some stuff there, Van Nuys ... pretty much the high schools in a 15-mile radius.

6. For your own good stay away.

7. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Care to expand?

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Do an archive search on the Daily News. It's got, um, problems.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

$40 in L.A.? One word to describe that, bro:

Cheeeeeeeeeep

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach Press-Telegram is the way to go.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

But the Press-Telegram and the Daily News have the same owner, our pal Dean Singleton. Would one really pay freelancers more than the other?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

True, Screw, but I still hold a special place in my heart for the P-T. Plus there are still some very good people there. And Long Beach is a great city.

Draft saved Draft deleted