1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought-provoking interview questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Snake Plissken, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Do you order the chips and salsa or mozzarella sticks as an appetizer?

2. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

This isn't going to end well.

3. Babs

Babs Member

I highly doubt any serious athlete would get a boob job. They are a hindrance in most sports.

Do your research and you'll ask better questions. The interviewee will immediately recognize that you at least gave a shit enough to study up on them, and will respond in kind.

Try also close observation. Watch just that player for a while if you can. Then say "I notice that you do this..." They will usually say "Yeah!" and keep talking. You have to really know the sport for this to work though.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Might?

5. "Yes, back here. This one is for Coach Knight. What's on your iPod?"

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

"Rita Hayworth or Ava Gardner -- who would you rather nail? I gotta disqualify myself, 'cause I done 'em both."

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And I assume you did it your way, Frank.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

how about no generic questions. ask questions specific to the subject's life, sport, career, family, etc.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

"Talk about this."

"Talk about that."

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think the blue font idea was created for posters like Babs.

11. moonlight

moonlight Member

[onmyhighhorse] Sorry, but this is my biggest fucking gripe about us. Standing there with a coach and saying "talk about your team's effort today" is just plain lazy.
    I was taught in J-school to have good questions in your head or written down. "Talk about your win today" is not a question. It's you begging someone to give you something. And it's lazy. [offmyhighhorse]

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those either/or questions are so lame! Best question I've ever heard is "what is the biggest misconception people have about you" (this is a classic job interview question, and the "misconception" is usually an accurate assessment.)

But if you are looking for an icebreaker type question, or technique, share something personal and stupid about yourself to gain trust.

Draft saved Draft deleted