1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Va. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I sincerely hope that people don't start asaulting Korean and other Asians for the fuck up of one individual.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Thought I'd pass along this link - lots of stuff here

http://crimeblog.us/?p=368

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I'm really getting sick of the idea of assigning blame. You've got 7,000 students on campus, most carrying backpacks. You get report of a double homicide in a dorm. What do you do? Lock everybody who's in in, lock everybody who's out out? Treat everybody as a suspect? After 2 bomb threat hoaxes, do you respond to the double homicide by locking down campus? How do you lock down a campus the size of VT? Everytime there's a shooting of one person, do we assume that the gunman, if still on the loose, is going to move on and commit mass murder?

There is no way to be safe in this day and age. Even if we have metal detectors at every entrance to every public building, that wouldn't prevent someone from taking in a back pack of explosives and blowing up a bunch of people. Stuff happens. It's not the fault of VT's administration.

4. At the least you cancel classes, sheesh. People dead, suspect missing on campus? Cancel classes. Those kids in that classroom were fish in a barrell.

5. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

And where would the kids have been otherwise? Locked in a dorm? What's the difference?

It's too early to pass blame onto the administration and police. They probably thought they were dealing with an isolated incident. This isn't CSI where they could figure out the truth in an hour and somehow anticipate that the perp would soon turn into a spree killer.

6. If they were locked in a dorm at least they'd been somewhere where the doors locked ... and when you've got a gunman on the loose it's never safe to assume anything, in fact it's just careless.

These students should have been given a chance, given as much info as they could early on. That's why all these students are going on TV, pissed off that it took two hours to send an email.

And people are talking a helluva lot about decorum on this site ... what about immediately cancelling classes out of respect for the two or three people who were murdered during the first shooting?

This thing was not handled well and it's never too soon to ask for accountability ... the students themselves had been asking for it all day. "How could this happen?"

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Since it was involving only one, I would think the backlash wouldn't crop up.
    I hope.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's shocking that Tech bumbled the handling of 33 deaths, being that it happens every day on college campuses. Christ, don't they have a "death policy?" Thats what we'll need next. We need the state legislature to sit around for a week being impressed with the sound of their own voices, putting together a death policy for all state schools.

Sometimes you can lock the car doors, activate the alarm, put The Club on the steering wheel, park under a street light and the bitch gets stolen anyways.

9. It's likely it wouldn't have been 33 if they used common sense, standard police procedures.

Dude, you don't sit on your thumbs for two hours while a gunman who's already killed several people disappears into a public place.

There wasn't even a manhunt two hours later (not that's been reported anyway) ... I can understand if they were thinking that it was a crime of passion and maybe the worst was over but it's never safe to assume. Every damn police department always talks about how, in light of 9/11, you have to be prepared for anything and so often they're not.

BTW, it shouldn't take an act of the General Assembly to shut down school when your students are murdered ...

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is chilling.

On a day like yesterday, he thanks God that the killer's paperwork was in order?

Good God, what is happening to us? We are cannibalizing our best and brightest.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So are we going to start putting every town on lockdown after a shooting?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I certainly hope you ARE NOT a journalists. If you are, I certainly hope you take more care when reporting news than this.

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Draft saved Draft deleted