1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SuzynWaldman/ John Sterling Support Group.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 10, 2007.

1. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I miss Jim Kaat. I miss Tony Kubek. The current group makes me long for the days of Frank Messer, Bill White and Phil Rizzuto. That's what I grew up with, and I still say that in their day, they were terrific in any combination. Phil was allowed to stay on the air much too long, but when he still really paid attention to the game (1970s), he could come up with some fascinating stuff. Loved White's National League knowledge going up against Rizzuto's lifetime of AL know-how.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're right, Ben. That was a bad call by me. Steiner does have a great voice.

I didn't unpackage his voice from what I feel is his weakness at calling MLB games.

Good catch. :)

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Simply can't get enough of this:

"Yankees lose . . . . THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES LOSE!"

4. shock -- There's a little Paul Harvey in that tale.
    And his engineer was....Jimmie Walker.
    And now you know the rest of the story.
    If Sterling's not Ted Baxter, I don;t know who is.

5. JHaugJr

JHaugJr New Member

In response to the Frattare criticism, the "There was no doubt about it" is a slight ripoff/homage/alteration of the legendary Bob "Gunner" Prince's call of "We had em aaaaaaallll the way." I prefer Brown's call as well. It's original and plays off the nickname. The team now raises a large Jolly Roger after wins, although that is theoretical so far this season.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What team does Denny Matthews do PBP for?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Very true. The four or five times a game he would drop some great analysis or insight made it worth putting up with a lot of bullshit.

8. Boom_70

Kaat was great I learned a lot of baseball listening to him over the years.

2 great Kaat observations :

- When hitter fouls ball straigt back he was right on the pitch and just missed it. How many times did you see a HR on next pitch after Kaat made that observation.

- Kaat discussing which way bat on flag pole in center field was pointed dictated if balls were going to fly out - If pointed towards home plate balls would get held up. If pointed towards left field balls would fly out.

I do think Joe Girardi is very good but we do not see enough of him.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm still laughing!! ;D ;D ;D

10. Matthews has done Royals PBP since the franchise began.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Slowcenter.. I agree with everything there. I miss Kaat and Kubec in the booth and the current group of broadcasters has me longing for those Rizzuto-White-Messer days I grew up with as well.

12. Boom_70

"When you throw a change up you need to make it look like a fastball"
    Suzyn Waldman
    Wow - what insight.

Draft saved Draft deleted