1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about Imus like adults?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Well said, Mizzou

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My opinion of Stringer went down several notches after that presser... I felt embarrassed for her and I felt embarrassed for the players, for all the wrong reasons...

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I do have a power, actually. The power of common sense.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I agree, Mizzou. I didn't know much about Stringer until the Final Four, when I heard nothing but praise. She wiped that out with about 30 minutes of verbal diarrhea.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once again, MIzzou, you are misstating what Stringer said.
    She did not equate Imus' comments with her daughter being diagnosed with meningitis or her husband's death.
    What she said was the first two times she went to the Final Four, she went with pain in her heart because of those tragedies. This year, she went in light-hearted and happy, enjoyed the experience immensely, and now feels it has been damaged by Imus' comments.

And, again, this issued lingered for a week with the Rutgers people saying nothing while being hounded by the media. For them to have a presser to respond is NOT C. Vivian Stringer milking this to get publicity for her program.
    You are so far off-base here it isn't even funny.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To me, if the team wanted to respond, fine, but they are doing more to help Imus atone than by ignoring him.

But if that's what they want to do, more power to them.

Reminds me of Fuzzy Zoeller's racist/inappropriate comment at the Masters years ago. Tiger Woods left Fuzzy hanging and twisting in the wind -- which was the worst thing he could have done to Fuzzy.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do you think if Imus had spit on Tennessee, Pat Summitt would have taken more than 15 seconds to grind Imus into dryer lint and cast him aside?

Not casting any other judgments on anything (OK, Imus is an idiot, I'll say that), but I just wondered how it may have been handled elsewhere.

8. boots

boots New Member

I've been acquainted with C. Vivian for the better part of three decades. She is a lady in every sense of the word.
    By the way, here is another columnist who makes some sense about this mess. Here is the link.
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350671406

9. -Al Sharpton's previous crusades on rap music... (and I am not a Sharpton fan)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2005-03-25-sharpton-rap-music_x.htm

-A well-organized protest at a black women's college against an appearance by rapper Nelly, forcing him to cancel

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2004-04-23-spelman-protest-rappers_x.htm

-Oprah Winfrey's decision to keep rappers off her show drawing the ire of the artists.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,26334,1198966,00.html

Other examples of protests led by blacks against the sexist nature of hip-hop lyrics have been mentioned... but I guess those weren't newsworthy enough to gain national attention.

All black people do not listen to rap and hip-hop. Black people have every right to speak out against what Imus said without hearing the "rappers do it too" argument.

Should there be more dialogue in the black community about misogyny in rap music? Definitely. But it's been happening for more than a decade. A little research and attention to the news would show that.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now, now, Doc. I read Grant's Memoirs and I don't recall him ever mentioning tipping the bottle. He does fall of horses a few times -- but who hasn't?

(BTW, anyone with an interest in history, civil war or presidents should read the book)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Outstanding point... With Summit, the issue would have been dead in 30 seconds...

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Good point. That in itself could be construed as a little racist. "Look how well-spoken they are ..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.