1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Imus talk about the Rutgers women's team?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Re: DON IMUS MUST GO!!!

Words can hurt, no doubt about that. Imus shouldn't have used the words he did because they're offensive and unnecessary.

But the double standard is bullshit. Why should Dave Chappelle or any other black comic have the right to throw around the n-word like it's nothing? If a word is offensive, then it's offensive and shouldn't be used. By anyone.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell yeah!

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Agreed, and I understand why words hurt people.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

As in, "boots put his worm in the brown hole."

5. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Dom Imus shouldn't be eliminated, women's basketball should.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rev. Al loves him some publicity. He practically tied himself to James Brown's corpse for 2 weeks.

As long as he doesn't explain his actions in the Tawana mess, he has no credibility with me.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Imus is off the air for two weeks. NBC's suits have spoken.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Imus is off the air for two weeks. NBC's suits have spoken.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be a hellish two weeks in the Bahamas, I'm sure.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe he can get a haircut, get a little sun and comeback looking a little less like Lurch on a wannabe cowboy bender.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hard to know on which Imus thread to post this :( .... but

AP news alert just in..

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You really think it's that simple? A word that white people used to belittle and oppress blacks for years on end should simply cease to exist? As a white person, I recognize it as a word that was used in such a way that it has now become something of a symbol of the civil rights movement and years of inequality. It offends a group of people whose situation I cannot begin to understand, so one less word in my vocabularly is hardly anything to sweat. If a black person chooses to use it, it's hardly as bad, simply because the definition of the word is in the hurtful context ... a white person saying it to a black person who is viewed as inferior. I can call my wife and my dog a bitch. One's fine, the other not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.